Sign in to follow this  
harminal

A couple of questions about game development+distribution

Hello! Im new to game development and i have a few questions 1) If i make models with blender and use direct x libraries, what sort of permissions do i have to get? 2) How do i get a game properly distributed? 3) What other permissions do i need in order to create a professional game? 4) What sort of costs are included in GD? 5) Any stories of hints for GD? Thank you!:D

For #1 you do not need any permission to use directx, it is free for anyone to use for any purpose. Same goes with blender, it is open source software and anything you create with it belongs to you.

#2, depends on what you mean by "properly distributed", if you mean published (by someone other than yourself) then you have to pitch your game idea or finished game to a publisher and then they decide if they want to publish it. You can publish it yourself buy creating an installer (there are programs that do this for you) or you can go the easy route and just zip your program. You would need to get someone to host your file to let other download it. If you want to charge for your game I can't help because I know nothing about this.

#3 You don't need permission for your game to be considered "professional" although usually you need a publisher for others to consider your game "professional". This whole post is assuming you are developing for pc, if you are trying to develop for a console then that's a whole different story and most of the info I have given is completely wrong.

#4 costs depend on what outside resources you are using, if you are developing everything by yourself AND using free software/libraries (like blender and directx) then your only cost is the time it takes you to develop your stuff.

basically it rocks to be an indie developer for the pc because you don't have hundreds of thousands to millions of overhead costs for things like game engines, art software (nonfree like 3dsmax and maya) and huge teams that want money.