App is capped at 60FPS?

Started by
13 comments, last by MonkeyTrooper 15 years, 1 month ago
For some reason my D3D app is capped at either 60 FPS. I have params.PresentationInterval set to D3DPRESENT_INTERVAL_IMMEDIATE, and I don't have VSync enabled in my video card settings or anything either. And if I try to slow it down by adding a bunch of text or sprites to the scene it doesn't go down to 50 or 40 FPS, it jumps all the way to 30, then 15, then 7 or 8, which seems really strange because those are all (roughly) factors of 60. Any ideas what's going on? I'll post some of my code if necessary.
Advertisement
Well that definitely sounds like VSYNC is being enabled, one way or another. Do you get any different behavior in full-screen vs. windowed?
Right click desktop and disable vsync.

NBA2K, Madden, Maneater, Killing Floor, Sims http://www.pawlowskipinball.com/pinballeternal

The only way I know of to disable VSync is to go into the nVidia contol panel and force it off, which I did, and I'm still getting the 60FPS cap. I noticed that I also get the cap when running other code from D3D tutorials; however I don't get it when running games or Irrlicht demos using D3D. Is there anything else I should be doing? Are there any specific parameters I should be setting or anything?
In the D3DPRESENT_PARAMETERS you pass to CreateDevice set PresentationInterval to D3DPRESENT_INTERVAL_IMMEDIATE to disable vsync.

Edit:
MSDN Link
Yep, I did that, as I said in my first post.

Ahh, I guess I'll just have to live with it for now. Thanks for trying to help guys.
Quote:Original post by MonkeyTrooper
Yep, I did that, as I said in my first post.

Oh, apparently I didn't read your initial post... Damn MTV!

Anyway, to more things to check:
* Are you running fullscreen or windowed?
* Are you running XP or Vista?

It's capped at 60FPS in both windowed and fullscreen, and I'm using 32-bit Vista.
Have you tested it on different computers?
No, but if you could download it and try it out for me here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?1dwwjjuwzmm

and tell me how it goes then I'd really appreciate it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement