Sign in to follow this  
peachu

OpenGL Cubemap reflections & GLSL vertex shaders [SOLVED!]

Hello, long time reader & first time poster. I've been toying around with simple OpenGL cubemap reflections, trying to learn the API, and eventually to learn GLSL. Various tutorials on the net have so far been more than helpful, but I've come across a vertex shader issue I'm unable to solve. While searching for similar threads in this forums has been helpful I've been unable to find an answer :/ I have a simple scene with fixed-functionality reflections that works, and I'm trying to duplicate this functionality using GLSL vertex and fragment shaders. The fragment shader is trivial and I believe that's not where the issue lies; from what I gather I'm using the wrong matrix in my vertex shader, but no matter what I can't seem to duplicate the (working) fixed-pipeline functionality. My scene works like this, with irrelevant code cut:
//clear color & depth buffers (...)
//set up projection & reset matrices

cameraForShader[0] = cameraPos.x;
			cameraForShader[1] = cameraPos.y;
			cameraForShader[2] = cameraPos.z;
			glUniform3fv(cameraUniform, 3, cameraForShader);

glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION);
			glLoadIdentity();			
			gluPerspective(45.0, 640.0/480.0, 0.01f, 100.0f);
			glMatrixMode(GL_TEXTURE);
			glLoadIdentity();
			glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW);
			glLoadIdentity();

//draw textured skybox

glMultMatrixf((const GLfloat *)&sceneRotationMatrix);

//draw some quads (...)

glLoadIdentity();

//draw model

glTranslatef(cameraPos.x, cameraPos.y, cameraPos.z);
			glMultMatrixf((const GLfloat *)&sceneRotationMatrix);
			glMultMatrixf((const GLfloat *)&modelRotationMatrix);

glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP);
			glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP, someCubemapTexture);
			glTexGeni(GL_S, GL_TEXTURE_GEN_MODE, GL_REFLECTION_MAP); glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_GEN_S);
			glTexGeni(GL_T, GL_TEXTURE_GEN_MODE, GL_REFLECTION_MAP); glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_GEN_T);
			glTexGeni(GL_R, GL_TEXTURE_GEN_MODE, GL_REFLECTION_MAP); glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_GEN_R);

glMultMatrixf((const GLfloat *)&sceneRotationMatrixTranspose);

drawModel(someModel);

glLoadIdentity();

glDisable(GL_TEXTURE_GEN_S);
			glDisable(GL_TEXTURE_GEN_T);
			glDisable(GL_TEXTURE_GEN_R);
			glDisable(GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP);

//draw some text, flush etc (...)

As you see, I have two separate rotation matrices, one for the "camera" (everything in the scene gets multiplied by it), and one for the "model" (only the model gets rotated by this, not the skybox). This seems to work, the reflection on the model seems to take both scene and model rotation into account: No matter how the model is rotated, the bottom cube face (green in the screenshot) is reflected on the bottom side of the model. The first image has the model in the natural position (as loaded from the 3ds file), the second has it rotated from this position. Now I've been trying to duplicate this functionality using GLSL. After much trial & error, and reading contradictory tutorials, here is my vertex shader:
uniform vec3 camera;

varying vec3 Reflect;

void main()
{
	vec4 cam = vec4(-camera.xyz, 0.0);
	vec3 normal = gl_Normal;
	vec4 vert = gl_Vertex;
	vec4 eyeDir = gl_ModelViewMatrixTranspose * cam;
	Reflect = reflect(vert.xyz - eyeDir.xyz, normal);

gl_Position = ftransform();
}

The fragment shader just does a textureCube lookup using the Reflect vector. Now this seems to work for the scene rotation, but if the model is rotated separately (using modelRotationMatrix above), the reflections are not updated. As an example, here is a similar scene to the one above, but rendered using the shaders. First with the model in the natural position (looks just like when using fixed-function): And, after rotating the model: What happens is that the reflections seem to be calculated without taking the model rotation into account - the "belly" of the model is still green, because in the default position it's supposed to reflect the green side of the cube. I'm guessing I need to multiply one of the vectors in the vertex shader by one of the matrices, but so far trial & error have net me no results :( . Any and all suggestions are appreciated. [Edited by - peachu on March 17, 2009 6:13:52 PM]

not 100% sure if this is right, but i think you want to multiply the normal by gl_NormalMatrix, to take into account the rotations of the model, because when you rotate obviously model view matrix transforms your vertices, but your normals remain the same.

Unfortunately,
vec3 normal = gl_NormalMatrix * gl_Normal;

produces even weirder results. The reflections are wrong, even when not rotating the model. It only looks right if both the scene and model rotation matrices are unity.

Thinking about it, you're probably right about this being about the normals though. I tried multiplying them with every matrix I could find in the GLSL reference sheet, but no luck :)

I'll see if I can make the model loader draw normal vectors for every triangle, that might make things easier to diagnose.

edit: I'm dumb, this won't help as the normals would then be vertices, and get transformed either way :v

[Edited by - peachu on March 15, 2009 1:35:31 PM]

Try this:
Vertex shader

varying vec3 refdir;

void main(void)
{
vec4 camcen= gl_ModelViewMatrixInverse[3];//camera center in World Space Coordinates
vec4 dir = gl_Vertex - camcen;//(Assuming) gl_Vertex is given in WSC
refdir = reflect(dir.xyz,gl_Normal);
}

if your cubemap is static this is all what you need :)

Edit:
In your original VS:

varying vec3 Reflect;

void main()
{
vec4 cam = vec4(-camera.xyz, 0.0);
vec3 normal = gl_Normal;
vec4 vert = gl_Vertex;
vec4 eyeDir = /*gl_ModelViewMatrixTranspose */ cam; //Don't have to do that transformation
Reflect = reflect(vert.xyz - eyeDir.xyz, normal);

}

It should work now (it does for me).

Edit2: Sorry I was wrong (I'm a noob ;). My VS works fine only when the model is not transformed, when the only moving object is the camera.
Anyway, If we assume that the cubemap is static, One have to send the transformation (and the normal) matrix of the object to the vertex shader in order to get the world space coordinates of its vertices before calculating the reflexion vector. This will not be very efficient with big meshes. there must be better approaches.

[Edited by - knighty on March 16, 2009 4:04:57 AM]

I solved this, sort of :)

Multiplying the GL_TEXTURE matrix with my model rotation matrix and then multiplying the reflection vector by gl_TextureMatrix[0], as in
[C code]:
glMultMatrixf((const GLfloat *)&sceneRotationMatrixTranspose);
if (opt2 & 8) //this is my obscure way of checking if we're using shaders
glMultMatrixf((const GLfloat *)&modelRotationMatrix);

[vertex shader]:
vec3 tReflect = reflect(vert.xyz - cam.xyz, normal);
Reflect = vec3(gl_TextureMatrix[0] * vec4(tReflect, 0.0));
//pass Reflect to fragment shader

seems to work. Bizarrely enough, multiplying GL_TEXTURE with the rotation breaks fixed-pipeline functionality, as the rotation matrix gets applied twice, so the reflection rotates twice for every rotation of the model, but at least the shader works. Clearly this is not the right way of doing it, and someday I'll probably figure out exactly where this mysterious other multiplication is taking place, but for now I'm satisfied :)

Thanks for your help!

Try this:

uniform mat3 CubeMapModelViewMatrixInverse;
varying vec3 Rdir;
void main (void)
{
vec3 Vdir = (gl_ModelViewMatrix * gl_Vertex).xyz;//assuming w=1
vec3 Ndir = gl_NormalMatrix * gl_Normal;
Rdir = CubeMapModelViewMatrixInverse * reflect(Vdir,normalize(Ndir));
}

Calculations are done in camera-space.

In this shader one can rotate the cube map :) but it requires to calculate the inverse of its modelview-matrix.

Typically, View and CubeMAp transformations are just rotations and translations so that the inverse of "CubeMapModelViewMatrix" is its transpose.