Sign in to follow this  
CodaKiller

Is Lua++ the industory standard?

Quote:
All I want to know is if lua++ is an industry standard?

Considering that about the only link on Lua++ I can find is from 1997, it would be unlikely.

Quote:
Has it been used in any titles which use lua for scripting?

WoW uses Lua extensively on clients.

Lua is used for scripting game logic in quite a few games (Far Cry, WOW, etc). |It's quite a compact, powerful and easy to use language. I did have problems trying to get it to print a file to a printer but otherwise it is probably the best scripting language I have come across.

Quote:
Original post by donkey breath
Lua is used for scripting game logic in quite a few games (Far Cry, WOW, etc). |It's quite a compact, powerful and easy to use language. I did have problems trying to get it to print a file to a printer but otherwise it is probably the best scripting language I have come across.

Here is what I'm trying to say. Is the wrapper Lua++ used in any titles and not just the API Lua.

I'm currently trying to use classes in lua and someone told me I should use Lua++ instead of trying to use just lua which is why I'm asking.

EDIT: Looks like LuaBind is better then toLua++ but I'm not sure and is it standard to use a wrapper in general?

I think you should spend less time worrying about what's "standard" and more time evaluating things for yourself. The considerations involved in large, commercial game development teams are considerably different than those involved in your situation.

I use LuaBind, but it's built on boost, so if you're anti-boost you won't want to use it.

I know of one studio that uses Lua directly (no wrapper/binding library), but they also do all of their development in plain C, so I don't think they're a very good example of up-to-date best practices.

Quote:
Original post by CodaKiller
I'm currently trying to use classes in lua and someone told me I should use Lua++ instead of trying to use just lua which is why I'm asking.
As I mentioned, the only reference to Lua++ is a wrapper to Lua 3.0 from 1997. If there's something else under same name, it's well hidden.

But simply put, anything 12 years old is ancient history and irrelevant.

Quote:
EDIT: Looks like LuaBind is better then toLua++ but I'm not sure and is it standard to use a wrapper in general?

Find a list of Lua wrappers. Download them, evaluate them. Choose the one that sits best with you.

When I did that quite some time ago, I came to simple conclusion. All dozens of wrapper libraries were abandoned, incomplete or obsolete. The 3 that remained each offered different high level views. The only one I'd consider (forgot which one) was so heavily templated the project bloated to absurd proportions.

Eventually, I just wrote my own which wrapped just the needed functionality and covered what my own needs were, including some project-specific functionality none of standard wrappers offered.

Wrappers are not something of particular importance beyond one's own preference, or project's requirements. Lua remains Lua.

Although, these days I'm partial to javascript and v8 myself.