VGA Dos games with C# ?

Started by
8 comments, last by ranakor 15 years, 1 month ago
Hi, Is it possible to program games for ms-dos with c# or c# is only for windows ? I already know that you can do it with c/c++ but i need to know if it's possible also with c# ? Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
No.

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

Why would you want to program games for DOS? If you're going for old-school style, just emulate that style with more current technology.
As others have said its not really possible at the moment and probably never will be. I don't think anyone would be crazy enough to write a .NET implementation for DOS.

That said however, C# is not only for Windows, it is available for most modern systems.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Wow, this question is weird, that I had to ask google about it.

So, I googled "dos c#" (which is quite a bit less work than registering and account here and typing a lengthy question) and, suprisingly enough, it came up with this!

Amazing!

Edit:
In my excitment I forgot to answer the OPs question. The answer is: Yes, but it's probably a lot easier to dig out that old DOS compiler...
Quote:Original post by Simian Man
Why would you want to program games for DOS? If you're going for old-school style, just emulate that style with more current technology.

Yeah even if you could find a straightforward way to do it it'll be of limited use since most modern Windows i.e. XP,Vista,etc use a DOS virtual machine i.e. emulation so it's not like they'll give you direct access to the vidcard anyways!
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Quote:Original post by SimonForsman
That said however, C# is not only for Windows, it is available for most modern systems.

C# != Mono..
While using certain practices with c# will allow it to run with mono, thats like saying any windows program can be used in Linux because of wine. Its not that same and needs to be tested (and ported) with mono.

So C# is only for windows, no MSdos, no linux, and no MacOS. But you can compile it with mono to provide linux / OS X and w/e else mono supports...
Quote:Original post by cherryyosh
Quote:Original post by SimonForsman

C# != Mono..
While using certain practices with c# will allow it to run with mono, thats like saying any windows program can be used in Linux because of wine. Its not that same and needs to be tested (and ported) with mono.

So C# is only for windows, no MSdos, no linux, and no MacOS. But you can compile it with mono to provide linux / OS X and w/e else mono supports...

C# is a language defined in a standard. Mono is a cross-platform implementation. Microsoft also has an implementation (I am unsure if theirs has a name). That implementation is Windows-only, but C# the language is cross-platform. Of course you have to pick libraries that are also cross-platform and test your code, but that is true of *all* languages. It isn't like wine at all.
Quote:Original post by Simian Man

C# is a language defined in a standard. Mono is a cross-platform implementation. Microsoft also has an implementation (I am unsure if theirs has a name). That implementation is Windows-only, but C# the language is cross-platform.

I was not aware of that..
I guess I stand corrected. Thanks for the info :P
C# is just a language that compiles down to CIL (common intermediate language).
The CLI is the standard that defines how to execute CIL (to keep things simple)
Microsoft's CLR (part of the .net framework) is microsoft's main implementation of the CLI.
Mono is another (or maybe it's a subsystem of mono that should be called that , i don't really know if mono's the implementation of the CLI or the whole package compiler included etc).
It is possible to target anything as long as you have an implementation of the CLI for that same "anything".
Microsoft also provides something named the .net micro framework wich is meant to run on embedded solutions , it can work either over an os or on bare metal , if there are none written for your platform you will need to write your own hardware abstraction layer for it... So odds are you COULD do it for dos , it would be an insane amount of work but i just wanted to give the full info.

click me for infos

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement