• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TwisteR

C++ Loading .txt

This topic is 6228 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I am designing a text based game that will require the option to save. I have desided that it should save in a .txt format (do to every computer has a .txt viewer [i think!!]). I was wondering how I would save data to a .txt file so the users game progress will not be lost. I am writting the code in Visual C++ 6.0 if that helps any.. Oh and if you could help me load it back up to that would be VERY helpful.......... Thank you. ----------------------------- -------Mitch Mulholland------ ----A.K.A.= TwisteR---------- -----------------------------

Advertisement
Easy:
1 - Create a file format (make it as simple or as complicated as you want)
2 - Figure out how you would write it out, and read it back (scanning/parsing)
3 - implement it

As for the C++ for this:

#include <fstream>
using namespace std;

int main()
{
ifstream inFile("fileToRead.txt");
ofstream outFile("fileToWriteTo.txt");

string data;
inFile >> data; // read something in, same ops as cin

outFile << "name = value\n"; // write it out in name/value pairs

return 0;
}

The format you choose to write it out in decides how complicated reading back in will be.

Say you have this format:

name = value
name = value

The spaces in between help to make reading it back easier. ifstream >> reads in each string separated by a space. Having each name/value pair on its own line also makes it easy to read back in.

If you want to make it complicated, give it structure:

someGlobalVar = "";

player {
name = "John Doe";
hp = 144;
exp = 10;
// ...
};

Jinushaun

Moved to General Programming from Game Writing (which is more about storylines, plot considerations, characterization, and so on.)

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!