unhuman voices.

Started by
2 comments, last by nsmadsen 15 years, 1 month ago
Hey. ive been developing a game for a while now and im beggining to think about sound for the first time (i currently know nothing about it) and i have a question regarding certain voice effects like for instance a dark demonic voice or a "powerfull sounding" angelic voice that you might find in a typical fantasy RPG. my question is: do they use special sound filters to achieve these effects or is it purely the skill of the voice actor to create these effects with his/her own voice? and if filters are used extensively for creating this where can i start looking?
Advertisement
Not sure what the pros use but I bought Morphvox Pro. It's cheap and does demonic, robotic voices very well. It might be good for other human voices but I haven't really looked into that. You can set variables to create your own voice using the presets as a base.
thnx il look into that
Quote:my question is: do they use special sound filters to achieve these effects or is it purely the skill of the voice actor to create these effects with his/her own voice? and if filters are used extensively for creating this where can i start looking?

It's a bit of both usually. The voice actor will do some elements just with his or her performance, then the sound guy will take it and push it to that next level needed.

I don't know what your budget it, or what software or computer set up you have but most of the major DAWs (like Sonar, Pro Tools, Logic, etc) come with a basic suite of plug-ins. Some are better than others. Logic has some really clean, effective plug-ins. Some of the 3rd party plug-ins for Pro Tools are some of the best in the business, but what ships with Pro Tools (especially the LE version) isn't anything to call home about.

Waves Gold is usually a good bundle to get. Plus check out the GRM Tools. Some of those are excellent. From there it's usually just experimenting with different effects and levels.

Thanks,

Nate

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement