Sign in to follow this  

So Who Makes the Most Money?

This topic is 3194 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

There's no straight answer for that. Here is a link to a reasonably recent salary survey. But salary isn't the only metric for wealth. For example, having equity in a studio you started will potentially pay off more in the long run. If you succeed. Et cetera.

However, if you're thinking about getting into the industry to make money, you probably are looking at the wrong industry.

Quote:
Original post by jpetrie
However, if you're thinking about getting into the industry to make money, you probably are looking at the wrong industry.

What is that supposed to mean?

It means that since everyone wants to do game development, game devs tend to work for less (~80% is often thrown about) than their business app brethren.

If you want to make a larger pay check, Java programmers in the professional sector make a high wage. I know in Ontario, there are jobs offering 90K+ a year for someone with a Comp Sci degree and 5 year experience, compared to probably closer to 50 - 60 for someone with the same amount of experience at a game dev job

Quote:
Original post by SuBM1T
According to the article thats posted above programmers make 80k which is a lot in my opinion.

Depends where you live. In San Francisco / LA, you'll be comfortable but not "rich". It's also not enough to buy a house there for a few years. Also, I don't think anyone offers that as a starting salary unless you're the mac-daddy of programming. Starting engineer salaries are normally around 60-70k

And as the above poster pointed out, you can do the same thing in any other industry and get 90-100k starting salary. Not to mention that my yearly bonus in games is ~$7,000 and in web-programming it was never less than $20,000

Don't go into games for money. Go into it because you love games and are obsessed with them. No one here is in it for the money and you'll be sad every bonus season when you friends are buying shiny Lotuses [smile].

I took a 30% base pay cut and a 60% cut on my yearly bonus to work a harder job for 2x the hours because it's infinitely more fun. If that sounds crazy to you, don't go into game development.

-me

Quote:

According to the article thats posted above programmers make 80k which is a lot in my opinion.

No, they make 80k on average after about three years across all regions and levels of experience. There's a difference.

Oh I see. Yes I love playing and critquing video games and I want to be an innovator in the game industry. So what careers make 90k-100k. Software developers?

Quote:
Original post by SuBM1T
So what careers make 90k-100k. Software developers?

Within games:
Engineers after 4-5 years of experience.
Producers/Managers after 3-5 years of experience.
Designers after 6-10 years of experience
Business Dudes: straight out of business school
Lawyer Dudes: straight out of law school

But as a piece of life-advice, think of it this way. What do you want to spend 50+ percent of your waking life doing? 50k doing something you love and are excited to go to every day beats the crap out of 100k doing something that makes you want to tear out your eyeballs. IMHO, money is a really lame and often stress/sadness inducing life-goal. Do what you love, not just what pays the best.

-me

Quote:

Origional post by Palidine
I took a 30% base pay cut and a 60% cut on my yearly bonus to work a harder job for 2x the hours because it's infinitely more fun. If that sounds crazy to you, don't go into game development.

Sounds like the story of a few people here where I work (myself included).
They gave up anywhere between 10% and 55% pay to work at a game company because it was more fun and less stressful, even if the hours were sometimes worse.

Quote:
Original post by SuBM1T
Oh I see. Yes I love playing and critquing video games and I want to be an innovator in the game industry. So what careers make 90k-100k. Software developers?

Meh.

In software, patent troll is a solid choice for high income. Consultancy is another.

Also, home computer service, which can be done as self-employed pays $100 an hour. Good hours, easy, satisfying work. No, really.

I tend to agree, if you are going into this field because you want to make the big bucks you might wanna turn around you are in for a disappointment. With that said it can pay well, but it depends on your definition of "well". I would be happy with a decent wage as long as I am doing what I love and I won't dread my job because I will be making games, who would? Sounds exciting to me, I am currently getting my BS in Game Software Development and can't wait till I am finished, but I don't expect a great job when I am done, what I expect is an internship which can pay but no likely. It depends on the company you get a job with.

Quote:
Original post by SuBM1T
So what are the other careers that pertain to the field of Computer Science that make a hefty salary?

Again, wrong question. Software developers don't tend to make the same as many other fields, they also tend to have to work worse hours (in all fields), and many states have strange laws that will prevent you from claiming overtime (California for instance).

Furthermore, if you enter the field based on "making lots of money" ideas you'll be a shitty developer, get poor reviews, won't be selected for promotions, and will most likely be the first person cut when the company down sizes :).

Also, The Daily WTF is not a prime example of the general skill level out there for developers, it is the exception, not the rule.

Quote:
Original post by SuBM1T
So what are the other careers that pertain to the field of Computer Science that make a hefty salary?
Server-side coding is one field that people can make money doing. PHP/ASP.NET development is popular.
I wouldn't worry about salary honestly. If you're going into a technology environment you're not going to be hurting for cash or making minimum work. It's a skilled job market.

Quote:
Original post by Washu
Quote:
Original post by SuBM1T

Again, wrong question. Software developers don't tend to make the same as many other fields, they also tend to have to work worse hours (in all fields), and many states have strange laws that will prevent you from claiming overtime (California for instance).

Furthermore, if you enter the field based on "making lots of money" ideas you'll be a shitty developer, get poor reviews, won't be selected for promotions, and will most likely be the first person cut when the company down sizes :).

Also, The Daily WTF is not a prime example of the general skill level out there for developers, it is the exception, not the rule.

Wow, I feel like I'm getting flammed. If you would have read the ealier posts I stated that I am a gamer and aspiring to work in the game industry. I never said money was an incentive, I just wanted to the know the differences of salaries among different positions in game development. I made no other references to different fields of work.

Quote:
Original post by SuBM1T
Wow, I feel like I'm getting flammed. If you would have read the ealier posts I stated that I am a gamer and aspiring to work in the game industry. I never said money was an incentive, I just wanted to the know the differences of salaries among different positions in game development. I made no other references to different fields of work.
The point people are making to you is that you should not aspire to a position based in any way on the amount of money someone can make in that position. The fact is, if you want to work in the video games industry, you need lots of passion, and if money is your motiving factor, then you simply don't have the required level of passion. Most people who make games for a living would do it for free if they couldn't do it for pay. Fact is, you gotta pay the bills, so you may as well get paid while you're doing it.

As mentioned, if money is what you are concerned about, don't go into the video games industry.
Quote:
Original post by SuBM1T
In one post you're asking what other computer science fields make a good salary, and in the next you're saying you make "no other references to different fields of work." What do you want? Do you want to work in the video games industry, or do you want to make a hefty salary?

Quote:
Original post by SuBM1T
When I said field I meant Computer Science. I wanted to know the differences among different careers in Computer Science.
I would say the simple answer would be that software developers in the finance sector earn quite a bit more than game developers. As would those in the engineering sector, perhaps (e.g. things like aviation, etc). Database professionals can earn quite a bit, depending on what their area of expertise is.

Again, though, basing your career choices on how much money you're likely to earn will only end in you choosing a career path that is wrong for you. You're going to be working for at least 40-50% of your waking hours (in whatever field you choose) so why spend your time depressed or bored out of your mind for those hours just so you can be marginally more comfortable (money doesn't make you happy, but it can make you more comfortable) in the other 50%?

Whatever field you choose, software engineers get a decent salary.

Jesus Christ! would you guys stop repeating each other, the OP only wants to know the average salary of developers in the games industry.

I think he understands by now that going for a job in the games industry for the money is a bad choice and will be disappointed, so are we clear on that?

Anyway, i think skillset lists the average salary in the games industry, but i think its in UK pounds (not US dollars)

http://www.skillset.org/games/

sorry, if your not from the UK but that site has some information you may find useful as im sure UK game dev companies do not differ much from US or anywhere else for that mater.

As for a direct listing, im not sure as ive never worked in the games industry, I would love to work in the industry, but as a hobby is great too! [smile]

Hope that helps [smile]

This topic is 3194 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.