So Who Makes the Most Money?

Started by
36 comments, last by Porsche_Man 15 years ago
Which position in game development earns the most income?
Advertisement
There's no straight answer for that. Here is a link to a reasonably recent salary survey. But salary isn't the only metric for wealth. For example, having equity in a studio you started will potentially pay off more in the long run. If you succeed. Et cetera.

However, if you're thinking about getting into the industry to make money, you probably are looking at the wrong industry.
Quote:Original post by jpetrie
However, if you're thinking about getting into the industry to make money, you probably are looking at the wrong industry.

What is that supposed to mean?

Quote:Original post by SuBM1T
What is that supposed to mean?

Doing the same thing in any other industry is about 30% more money

-me
It means that since everyone wants to do game development, game devs tend to work for less (~80% is often thrown about) than their business app brethren.
According to the article thats posted above programmers make 80k which is a lot in my opinion.
If you want to make a larger pay check, Java programmers in the professional sector make a high wage. I know in Ontario, there are jobs offering 90K+ a year for someone with a Comp Sci degree and 5 year experience, compared to probably closer to 50 - 60 for someone with the same amount of experience at a game dev job
--------------------------------------Not All Martyrs See Divinity, But At Least You Tried
Quote:Original post by SuBM1T
According to the article thats posted above programmers make 80k which is a lot in my opinion.

Depends where you live. In San Francisco / LA, you'll be comfortable but not "rich". It's also not enough to buy a house there for a few years. Also, I don't think anyone offers that as a starting salary unless you're the mac-daddy of programming. Starting engineer salaries are normally around 60-70k

And as the above poster pointed out, you can do the same thing in any other industry and get 90-100k starting salary. Not to mention that my yearly bonus in games is ~$7,000 and in web-programming it was never less than $20,000

Don't go into games for money. Go into it because you love games and are obsessed with them. No one here is in it for the money and you'll be sad every bonus season when you friends are buying shiny Lotuses [smile].

I took a 30% base pay cut and a 60% cut on my yearly bonus to work a harder job for 2x the hours because it's infinitely more fun. If that sounds crazy to you, don't go into game development.

-me
Quote:

No, they make 80k on average after about three years across all regions and levels of experience. There's a difference.
Oh I see. Yes I love playing and critquing video games and I want to be an innovator in the game industry. So what careers make 90k-100k. Software developers?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement