So Who Makes the Most Money?

Started by
36 comments, last by Porsche_Man 15 years, 1 month ago
Just as an example I used to work at the local compUsa as a lowley service writter part time. The job I had before that I made about 12$ an hour, the new job at comp was only 9$ an hour. A pretty hefty pay cut esp for a college student. But you know what? I had to put up with rude dumb customers day in and day out and i didn't care at all, didn't care if we had to stay 2 or 3 hours past my scheduled time off because i loved the job. The store closed when they got sold off and condensed down and so i had to find another job. I don't hate my current job but it's far better than working where I was, staples, after comp closed. Morale/point of the story? No one job in the industry pays very well simply put. You just have to find something you enjoy and do it. No real part of the job you do in the game industry will pay more than another and if they do as the article posted right off the bat stated will specifcally pay more really. And only wanted to prove a point on the pay versus job liking. Sometimes you get lucky and get a job that pays well and isn't one where you have to work with or be a jerk at.
Advertisement
Wow, when did I ever say money was a motive. Never. I said these were my reasons:

Quote:Original post by SuBM1T
Oh I see. Yes I love playing and critquing video games and I want to be an innovator in the game industry.

If you would have read the ealier posts I stated that I am a gamer and aspiring to work in the game industry. I never said money was an incentive, I just wanted to the know the differences of salaries among different positions in game development.

It is rather implied by the thread topic. It could've been 'Salary info?', or 'What positions exist in the Industry?', or 'What's your salary?', or even 'What's the difference in salary versus biz-dev?'.

You chose none of those.

Maybe we're reading too much into it, but I personally would expect less defensiveness and more questions about what each position actually does if that were the case (or really any career questions that don't involve salary).
My question was answered with the article that was posted in one of the earlier replies. I'm only being defensive because most of you are just repeating one another and thus prolonging the discussion of this thread which is going off topic.
It's not your job to care about whether or not the thread goes offtopic. If you've got what you wanted from it, stop coming back and replying. It will naturally die off.
Quote:Original post by Saruman
If money is one of your top conditions I don't think you can possibly beat the financial sector, considering with a few years experience you are pulling 95+ easily, and then after a few years experience in either trading systems and/or risk management it is hard to make less than 120.

I would suggest strategic business development lead in an international oil company. That should bring you into the $1m per year sector.
Oh I see. Yes I love playing and critquing video games and I want to be an innovator in the game industry.

Well to put it simply you may have to sacrifice the best paying job in the field to do this. Why? Becuase what you love to do may not be the best paying part of game desing. Also, you want to find something that is related to the field of game design you are good at becuase this in turn will help you find ways to innovate it. So I guess what I'm trying to say is look at what you are both good at and love, if your not good at it work at till you are just make sure you love it and an easy test is if you don't care what you make then you will love it.
There is nothing to be implied from what he said:
Quote:Which position in game development earns the most income?

If so, it's likely it was assumed the post MEANT something else because of past experiences/bias. (E.g Some beginners look into the game industry because they think it pays well, etc) I digress.

The simple answer: the top people of that development studio*; founders, presidents, CEO, etc and the top developers within the inner circle.

*Of course their pay may vary based on their studio size and net income.

Was asleep for 2 years after I signed up.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement