Sign in to follow this  
SeraphLance

To be a graphics programmer

I've been experimenting with shaders over the past year, to the point of being able to write up to a bump mapping effect from memory, as well as attempting some simple terrain rendering and deformation. Of course, I know the wide world of graphics programming is much bigger than this, so I was wondering what sort of topics the subject would include, as well as some advice on what to try next. As a corollary, do jobs for graphics programmers in specific even exist? Browsing various job listings, all I ever seem to find are "senior" graphics programmers, which is of course completely different.

I cant answer the first question, but I can try to answer the second question.

As mentioned by a poster on the IGDA boards (I'll try to find link), a lot of companies only actively advertise for senior or very key/important talent. It costs money and time to post job listings on gamasutra/igda (not sure on gamedev). In addition, a lot of companies get a lot of applications due to local recruitment (Blizzard is very active in my area, as they are based in Irvine, they try to find local candidates).

I would find the game development companies near your area (or if you're planning to move, near that area) and go through their web sites to see if there's any postings or an e-mail which you can specifically e-mail them.

Larger companies will have specific positions, but smaller companies might want you more well rounded because they may not have the resources to dedicate an entire salary to one area.

Yeah, jobs for graphics programmers (not senior) do exist. The book steven referenced is a great start. You'll also want to concern yourself with all things performance related - which comes down to knowing the hardware very intimately. And if you have any free time left, read papers and see what you can apply/put into code.

Quote:
Original post by steven katic
http://www.realtimerendering.com/

Yowza! That's quite a pricetag. Looks useful, though. I'll have to save up for it. The table of algorithms for intersection tests is neat, too.