Death From Above (wip)

Started by
5 comments, last by Kisguri 15 years, 1 month ago
Death From Above Our new Freeware game in development features Aerial Combat, Bombing and some neat flight maneuvers as well as the ability to deploy tanks from your base to liberate cities and bases from the enemy! The game is based in part on Compuscience's 1984 title Sopwith, Which I played for hours on end as a child on my trusty Tandy 1000. Game play consists of eight separate possible mission between four levels you play at any one time, Each missions overall objective is to eliminate all enemy fighters, tanks and defenses and to secure all Cities and Bases for your side. Liberation occurs when you deploy two tanks to a city or base. Once you have liberated a property it increases the number of tanks you can deploy by two. Also if you liberate a base you may use that for landing and refueling. You deploy tanks during a refuel/reload period in between sorties. During Air combat you can use Stalls to you advantage as well as pull of some special aerial maneuvers if you can figure out how to use them. Enemy fighters will do their best to end up on your tail and send some Lead you way, Also Gun emplacements and flak cannons protect tanks and enemy fortifications Combat features: * Stalls * Barrel Rolls * 180 Inverts * Bombs * Gunplay * U Turn maneuvers * Tanks engage other Enemy Turrets and Tanks * Flak Cannons Strategy Features: * Once landed at a base send out Tanks to the left or right * It takes two tanks to capture a enemy base or a city * Bases and Cities add 2 Tanks to your total can have in combat * once you capture a enemy base you may land and refuel their and issue build orders from it Download now! Http://www.gamesare.com/games/dfa/DFAbuild37.exe We would love any comments, suggestions or bug finds from the fine folks at Gamedev.net. And we hope you enjoy the game! Screenies (More info at http://gamesare.com/forums/index.php?board=33.0)
Advertisement
Nice game. The background looks great and silhouetting the game objects is a clever idea!

I found it hard to learn to play. I started off with the flight school for basic flight. Taking off and controlling the plane mid-flight was easy (I like how the engines start giving up when you give it too much power - nice attention to detail) and intuitive, but when it came to landing I found it very hard. For starters, the dialog where your instructor tells you how to land can be closed with the arrow keys. This is really a pain in the bum if you're like me and need to read that dialog for your survival! Haha. I think restricting the closure of this dialog to a key that is not used for controlling the plane would be a nice way to prevent unintended closure of it.

Landing was very difficult (again, perhaps this is just me), as it doesn't ever tell you how to cut the engine, and I found myself crashing frequently. It wouldn't have been as frustrating if it didn't force you to restart the game from the extreme beginning, ie the screen that is shown to you when you first start the game.

One thing I've noticed on a few games here on GameDev are spelling/grammatical errors. I think it might just be me, but even the simplest and most inconspicuous spelling error detracts from a game. I saw a few on the dialogs, e.g unnecessary capitalisation, missing punctuation, incorrect spelling. Again, I think this is probably just me, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

I think this is a great game though. It's got that real hobby feel to it, I think it comes from the art? If I didn't suck so bad at flying it I'd be playing it right now haha.

Thanks for the comments! Hope I can get some clarifications...

A. When you say it feels "hobby" what does that specifically mean?

B. Would it help besides eliminating the start over at the beginning of training if I included perhaps a instructor plane that demo's what to do?

C. I am not the best when it comes to Grammar, I need to identify those errors and correct! Sorry

Thanks again for the comments!
Quote:Original post by Kisguri
Thanks for the comments! Hope I can get some clarifications...

A. When you say it feels "hobby" what does that specifically mean?

B. Would it help besides eliminating the start over at the beginning of training if I included perhaps a instructor plane that demo's what to do?

C. I am not the best when it comes to Grammar, I need to identify those errors and correct! Sorry

Thanks again for the comments!
Hey.

A. By hobby, I meant that it has the feel of a game that didn't have 100 developers working on it. As in, it has an appearance and feel similar to that of an indie game. I probably should just have said indie game haha.

B. That would be awesome, but it sounds like a lot of work. I think perhaps telling the player how to cut the engine would be sufficient even for a simpleton like me haha. I don't think it is on the dialog? But correct me if I'm wrong.

C. If you'd like, I can note (here) each error I find?

If you can note the Grammar errors that would be awesome, Would save a HUGE amount of time, I am actually working on Four titles right now! Three Commercial and this freeware one! Thanks for writing back
In the (basic) flight training 101 dialogue (I was spelling dialog the wrong way all this time!), it says FLIGHT TRAINING 101 and then you've got a comma. I think this should be a title, centered horizontally along the dialogue, or at least replace the comma with a period.

Quote:Today we are going to learn basic flight, Pay attention I don't want anyone wasting my aircraft on stupidity!"
is missing some punctuation. An alternative could be
Quote:Today we are going to learn basic flight. Pay attention! I don't want anyone wasting my aircraft on stupidity!"
or
Quote:Today we are going to learn basic flight! Pay attention - I don't want anyone wasting my aircraft on stupidity!"

In several places, ordinary words like height have their first letter capitalised. This should be easy to spot so I won't list each one.

The combat flight training, you have
Quote:Pay Attention, cause you about to get you meat and potatos of Flight School, Aeiral Combat. Its your or them, and it will be better for the war effort if you make them...
I don't know if the instructor has a Texan accent, but I'll assume he doesn't.
Quote:Pay attention, cause you're about to get the meat and potatoes of Flight School: Aerial Combat. It's you or them, and it will be better for the war effort if you make them ???...
You're missing something where I've put the question marks.. perhaps some kind of profanity? :D

I've gotta go to a group meeting at uni, but that's a start. I'd suggest just copy-pasting the dialogue into MS Word and using a spellchecker. That would save you a lot of time.

Thanks again, for taking the time! It's a area I neglect all the time, I dread doing the same to all the text in Incursion another one of our titles ( http://www.theirplanisinmotion.com ) .

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement