Large projects

Started by
1 comment, last by Captain P 15 years, 1 month ago
I've been programming for probably 6 years now as a hobby. I've just started attending college and I'm taking my first computer science course. I have (what I'd like to think is) a firm grasp of programming concepts and can solve most problems I encounter quickly. However, I still have problem with "the big picture". When it comes to making a large project, I don't break it down well and usually end up with a few chunks of code for different parts of the project that don't work well with one another. I'm sure I'm not the first person to have this kind of problem, so I was wondering.. Could anyone recommend books (online or dead-tree), or recommend any papers, etc. on the subject? Or just straight up advice, or what your process is. I'd really appreciate it, Thanks, Juturnas
Advertisement
well on your computer science couse, you probably come across topics like Software Engineering and object oriented programming. I came across these at Uni, but there is a gamedev section you should take a look at:

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/list.asp?categoryid=66

I started reading 'Code Complete' recently. I think you'll find it very useful - it deals with various aspects of software development, including planning and design.

'The Pragmatic Programmer' is also a great book.

Besides reading up on good practices, it also comes down to experience. Try to analyze your past projects, find out why you ended up with code that didn't work well together, and find out ways to avoid it next time.
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement