OpenGL 3.1

Started by
13 comments, last by SimonForsman 15 years ago
As stated on www.opengl.org, tomorrow (March 24, 2009), OpenGL 3.1 is going to be unveiled: Mar 23, 2009 Khronos is proud to announce the follow highlights in the upcoming Developers Sessions at GDC on March 24th 2009: Streamlined OpenGL 3.1 Specification Released Just nine months after OpenGL 3.0; Adds cutting-edge GPU functionality OpenCL 1.0 Implementations Close to Shipping Portable heterogeneous parallel computing; Seamless interop visual computing with OpenGL OpenSL ES 1.0 Released for Cross-Platform Audio Processing Extensive portable audio functionality; Enhances audio in the Khronos Mobile API Ecosystem Khronos Launches Initiative for Accelerated 3D on the Web Open call for industry participation and contributions; Project initiated by Mozilla
Advertisement
The 3.1 spec in on the OpenGL site and Nvidia are quick out of the block again announcing their release of the 3.1 driver.

A new __extension__ has been added ARB_compatibility which can be used to check if the depreciated functions listed in the 3.0 spec are supported by the driver, as it is now optional to support them.

Details were posted via twitter
"You insulted me!" I did not say that in the private message Tom Sloper!
Uhh...I'm not seeing the new spec anywhere.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
It's here.
Looks like they added (promoted?) some features and removed immediate mode, but still nothing like the major rewrite that was promised a long time ago for version 3. Is that still in the pipeline or should we forget about that?
Quote:Original post by Promit
Uhh...I'm not seeing the new spec anywhere.

http://www.opengl.org/registry/doc/glspec31.20090324.pdf
and
http://www.opengl.org/registry/doc/glspec31undep.20090324.pdf

unless you meant something else.
Quote:Original post by lightbringer
It's here.
Looks like they added (promoted?) some features and removed immediate mode, but still nothing like the major rewrite that was promised a long time ago for version 3. Is that still in the pipeline or should we forget about that?

Removing all the features they did will allow a major rewrite of the code. It is about what I was expecting. I am guessing 3.0 is a result of the bureaucrat that said just removing features without notice would have been to harsh so they marked them for deletion wait a little while and then deleted them.
I am happy with this, cant wait to see what is added later and how much of a speed improvement this will cause.
Oh, they only link the specs from that page and not anywhere else. Weird.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
I think its a bit stupid to provide the backwards extension, now vendors have to support two architectures/implementations and users will have the option to "be lazy" (i know economically this is a good move, but from a progresionist point of view, i think its quite silly)

I will personally continue to use GL and will dump < GL 3.1 support however IMO (Im not saying they ever will, just an oppinion) MS would erradicate GL for games (probably most other things as well...) if they created a supported D3D implementation for nix based OS's - ofcourse this would also mean Sony would have to drop/change their librsx implementation... but yea..

I want Khronos to just focus on not screwing up OpenGL|ES because they are doing well in that regard so far. although leaving out push/pop attrib methods in ES1 was a total brain-fart for obvious reasons - GL is a state machine! and you decide to leave out the client controlled state stack????, so my fear is genuine.

-Danu
"I am a donut! Ask not how many tris/batch, but rather how many batches/frame!" -- Matthias Wloka & Richard Huddy, (GDC, DirectX 9 Performance)

http://www.silvermace.com/ -- My personal website
Well they didn't make us wait 8 years so I'm pleased, even if all we are getting is a little tweak. I would rather like lots of little changes gradually than nothing for years and then disappointment with no real changes.
Quote:Original post by silvermace
I want Khronos to just focus on not screwing up OpenGL|ES because they are doing well in that regard so far. although leaving out push/pop attrib methods in ES1 was a total brain-fart for obvious reasons - GL is a state machine! and you decide to leave out the client controlled state stack????, so my fear is genuine.
-Danu

I've never used them and I use std GL. There is quite a lot in GL that I don't use.
Sig: http://glhlib.sourceforge.net
an open source GLU replacement library. Much more modern than GLU.
float matrix[16], inverse_matrix[16];
glhLoadIdentityf2(matrix);
glhTranslatef2(matrix, 0.0, 0.0, 5.0);
glhRotateAboutXf2(matrix, angleInRadians);
glhScalef2(matrix, 1.0, 1.0, -1.0);
glhQuickInvertMatrixf2(matrix, inverse_matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation1, 1, FALSE, matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation2, 1, FALSE, inverse_matrix);

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement