• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
leelouch

TinyXML++ memory leaks

20 posts in this topic

Hi I have huge memory leak issue using tinyxml with this code : any idea please ?
ticpp::Document   xml;
ticpp::Node     * _top;

filename="myfile";

xml.LoadFile(filename);
_top = xml.FirstChild(false);

ticpp::Element * _atomsib (std::string name) {
	for (ticpp::Element* pElem = _top->FirstChildElement(); pElem; ) {
		if (pElem->Value() == name) {
			return pElem;
		}
		ticpp::Element * tmp = pElem;
		pElem= pElem->NextSiblingElement("atom");
		tmp->Clear();
		delete tmp;
	};
	return 0;
}

while (1) {
	ticpp::Element * n;
	n = _atomsib("socket");
	n->Clear();
	delete n;
};

[Edited by - leelouch on March 24, 2009 7:18:32 PM]

delete pElem;
pElem = (ticpp::Element*) pElem->NextSiblingElement("atom")

I see a problem. And it isn't a memory leak.

I dont know about the above code, but tinyxml did used to leak years ago,
do u have the latest version?

Quote:
Original post by NotAYakk
delete pElem;
pElem = (ticpp::Element*) pElem->NextSiblingElement("atom")

I see a problem. And it isn't a memory leak.

Yes of course, this is a problem, I figured out that, and even with the fix, it does not change the behaviour !!
maybe I missed something on what I have to do to free the memory allocated by the iterator, other than the Clear() method and delete on Element * ???

and Yes I have the last version .

What is the correct code to search an element in a xml hierarchy, without memory leak ??

Thanks for help.

You don't have to do anything to free memory. When the XML document itself is unloaded, all elements are freed as well.

Quote:
Original post by Codeka
You don't have to do anything to free memory. When the XML document itself is unloaded, all elements are freed as well.

What if I do not want to unload the XML document ? (take it as a database)
in this case, the while loop above will increase the memory till saturation (is this normal ?).

valgrind mention that blocks allocated by tinyxml are still reachable.

anyway to avoid that ?

Quote:
Original post by leelouch
in this case, the while loop above will increase the memory till saturation (is this normal ?).
No, tinyxml allocates memory for the whole document up-front. As you enumerate elements, it just returns its internal pointers. So the same element will return the same pointer each time.

Quote:
Original post by Codeka
Quote:
No, tinyxml allocates memory for the whole document up-front. As you enumerate elements, it just returns its internal pointers. So the same element will return the same pointer each time.

Ok this is good to know, so normaly if I remove my delete and clear, memory must not increase, but this it'is not the case ! ->
pointer change !

very simple example : you can try it :)
pElem change ->
0x8d7dfd8
0x8d7dfe8
0x8d7dff8
0x8d7e008
0x8d7e018
0x8d7e028
0x8d7e038
0x8d7e048

(see also valgrind output below)

#include <ticpp.h>
#include <ostream>

using namespace std;

int main() {
ticpp::Document xml;
string topName;

ticpp::Node * _top;

xml.LoadFile("test.xml");
_top = xml.FirstChild(false); // throwIfNoChildren=false
topName = ((ticpp::Element*)_top)->GetAttribute("atom");

cout << topName << endl;

while (1) {
ticpp::Element * pElem = _top->FirstChildElement();
cout << pElem << endl;
};
}

test.xml:

<params atom="unit_2ddfba91" name="top">
<atom name="base_22475976">
<step value="0">
<param name="enRead" type="Boolean" value="True"/>
<param name="enWrite" type="Boolean" value="True"/>
</step>
</atom>
<atom name="base_22111976">
<step value="0">
<param name="enRead" type="Boolean" value="False"/>
<param name="enWrite" type="Boolean" value="True"/>
</step>
</atom>
</params>

valgrind output:
valgrind --log-file=val --leak-resolution=high --leak-check=full --show-reachable=yes test.out

==28684== 624 bytes in 12 blocks are still reachable in loss record 38 of 40
==28684== at 0x4004790: operator new(unsigned) (vg_replace_malloc.c:164)
==28684== by 0x80665A5: TiXmlElement::Parse(char const*, TiXmlParsingData*, TiXmlEncoding) (in test.out)
==28684== by 0x806623D: TiXmlElement::ReadValue(char const*, TiXmlParsingData*, TiXmlEncoding) (in test.out)
==28684== by 0x806670D: TiXmlElement::Parse(char const*, TiXmlParsingData*, TiXmlEncoding) (in test.out)
==28684== by 0x806623D: TiXmlElement::ReadValue(char const*, TiXmlParsingData*, TiXmlEncoding) (in test.out)
==28684== by 0x806670D: TiXmlElement::Parse(char const*, TiXmlParsingData*, TiXmlEncoding) (in test.out)
==28684== by 0x8066B6A: TiXmlDocument::Parse(char const*, TiXmlParsingData*, TiXmlEncoding) (in test.out)
==28684== by 0x8063333: TiXmlDocument::LoadFile(_IO_FILE*, TiXmlEncoding) (in test.out)
==28684== by 0x80634E9: TiXmlDocument::LoadFile(char const*, TiXmlEncoding) (in test.out)
==28684== by 0x804DFB4: ticpp::Document::LoadFile(char const*, TiXmlEncoding) (in test.out)
==28684==
==28684==
==28684== 8,388,608 bytes in 1 blocks are still reachable in loss record 39 of 40
==28684== by 0x805C5BB: std::vector<ticpp::Base*, std::allocator<ticpp::Base*> >::_M_insert_aux(__gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<ticpp::Base**, std::vector<ticpp::Base*, std::allocator<ticpp::Base*> > >, ticpp::Base* const&) (in test.out)
==28684== by 0x8054304: ticpp::Node::FirstChildElement(char const*, bool) const (in test.out)
==28684== by 0x805443E: ticpp::Node::FirstChildElement(bool) const (in test.out)
==28684== by 0x804AD95: main (params.cc:97)
==28684==
==28684==
==28684== 12,748,332 bytes in 1,062,361 blocks are still reachable in loss record 40 of 40
==28684== by 0x8053EC5: ticpp::Node::FirstChildElement(char const*, bool) const (in test.out)
==28684== by 0x805443E: ticpp::Node::FirstChildElement(bool) const (in test.out)
==28684== by 0x804AD95: main (params.cc:97)

Quote:

#include <ticpp.h>
#include <ostream>

using namespace std;

int main() {
ticpp::Document xml;
string topName;

ticpp::Node * _top;

xml.LoadFile("test.xml");
_top = xml.FirstChild(false); // throwIfNoChildren=false
topName = ((ticpp::Element*)_top)->GetAttribute("atom");

cout << topName << endl;

while (1) {
ticpp::Element * pElem = _top->FirstChildElement();
cout << pElem << endl;
};
}

How are you stopping your program if you have an infinite loop at the end? Try just running that last loop a couple of hundred times and let the program terminate itself.
Otherwise, ticpp::Document xml won't go out of scope and be destroyed. You're probably just seeing memory that was allocated by the Document-object, but its destructor isn't called when your terminate the program with Ctrl-C.
That's my guess anyway.

Quote:
Original post by Tunah

How are you stopping your program if you have an infinite loop at the end? Try just running that last loop a couple of hundred times and let the program terminate itself.
Otherwise, ticpp::Document xml won't go out of scope and be destroyed. You're probably just seeing memory that was allocated by the Document-object, but its destructor isn't called when your terminate the program with Ctrl-C.
That's my guess anyway.

This is just an example !
Let's say that xml is a global variable and I do not want to destroy it and reload it again on each time I need an attribute or something else.
The while statement here is only to simulate several access to the xml document ! Access to xml database must not reallocate a new element on each time you access to it. it must have like a cache on element already allocated and return cached pointer.

the while loop must not create an infinite allocation behavior. memory allocation size must remains constant during the loop where here is not the case !

Quote:
Quote:
Original post by Tunah

That's my guess anyway.

This is just an example !
Let's say that xml is a global variable and I do not want to destroy it and reload it again on each time I need an attribute or something else.
The while statement here is only to simulate several access to the xml document ! Access to xml database must not reallocate a new element on each time you access to it. it must have like a cache on element already allocated and return cached pointer.

the while loop must not create an infinite allocation behavior. memory allocation size must remains constant during the loop where here is not the case !

Fair enough, I guess. But you posted example code and valgrind output after it, so it's only logical to assume that you ran it like that.

Quote:
Original post by Tunah

Fair enough, I guess. But you posted example code and valgrind output after it, so it's only logical to assume that you ran it like that.

valgrind support Ctrl-C interrupt, and show you still-reachable pointer
otherwise the linux "top" command works very well :)

If it's any consolation, someone else here reported seeing memory leaks with their TinyXML++ code and their code seemed fine.

Quote:
Original post by Kylotan
If it's any consolation, someone else here reported seeing memory leaks with their TinyXML++ code and their code seemed fine.

Yes, it's not the first time, I submit an issue in the TinyXml++ project :
http://code.google.com/p/ticpp/issues/list
waiting to see if I missed something or not !
Thanks for everybody

Yeah, I just downloaded the TinyXML++ source code and it looks like it's allocating a "wrapper" object every time you call FirstChildElement or NextChildElement, etc. It seems a bit silly to me, but you can call DeleteSpawnedWrappers at any time to free up the memory used by these wrapper objects. The memory is also free when you destroy the main object.

Personally, I use the regular TinyXML. I don't think TinyXML++ provides much over the base TinyXML anyway. The whole point of TinyXML is that it's light-weight :-)

Quote:
This is not really a valid test, though. Pressing Ctrl-C will not call the destructor of the Document object and so it would not have a chance to free the memory. As I said, the memory is freed when you release the top-level document object.

It's a bit silly (in my opinion) that they allocate a new "wrapper" object every time you call NextSiblingElement, etc, but I guess they're not really expecting it to be used like how you use it (I'm guessing they expect you to just parse the document into your own internal types and then that's it).

Quote:
Original post by Codeka
Quote:
This is not really a valid test, though. Pressing Ctrl-C will not call the destructor of the Document object and so it would not have a chance to free the memory. As I said, the memory is freed when you release the top-level document object.

It's a bit silly (in my opinion) that they allocate a new "wrapper" object every time you call NextSiblingElement, etc, but I guess they're not really expecting it to be used like how you use it (I'm guessing they expect you to just parse the document into your own internal types and then that's it).

I agree, it's a bit silly, and it's not usable in my case. it is difficult, because it's completely used as a database that can contains a lot of different stuff depending on the reader ...

Quote:
I agree, it's a bit silly, and it's not usable in my case. it is difficult, because it's completely used as a database that can contains a lot of different stuff depending on the reader ...
Would it make more sense for you to load the entire document into your own data structure, and query that at runtime? That way, you only keep the XML document loaded for the short time it takes to parse it, and when you're finished parsing, and the memory will be freed. It also means you don't end up doing O(n) loops through all your XML nodes every time you want to do a query and you can use more efficient data structures.

Quote:
Original post by Codeka
Would it make more sense for you to load the entire document into your own data structure, and query that at runtime? That way, you only keep the XML document loaded for the short time it takes to parse it, and when you're finished parsing, and the memory will be freed. It also means you don't end up doing O(n) loops through all your XML nodes every time you want to do a query and you can use more efficient data structures.

it's not so simple, the xml structure is not uniq, can be anything, only the reader module knows what it's in side,
what I wanted to do is a simple way to access the xml structure using an hierarchical access. for ex:
<top>
<a>
<b value=True type=bool>
<c value=True type=int>
<d type=array len=3 type=string>
<item0 value="x">
<item1 value="y">
<item2 value= "45">
<d>

</top>

then you can access easily :
top.a.b -> value of b !
top.d.len -> length
top.d.0 -> item 0

etc etc
so a generic structure would be a map<map<map ... <string,string>>>>... :)
which is not practical !

Thanks anyway

lookin to the code of TiXml++ in ticpp.h
I found this !!

They create a new wrapper on each time and they store it in vector of (Base *) (spawnedWrappers), which is very very weird !!!
this vector will be bigger and bigger each time accesing a new sibling !

wondering why ? any idea ?

Element* temp = new Element( sibling );
sibling->m_spawnedWrappers.push_back( temp );

why not storing one and only wrapper ?

Quote:
Element* temp = new Element( sibling );
sibling->m_spawnedWrappers.push_back( temp );

why not storing one and only wrapper ?
Yeah, that's what I was talking about above. I'm not sure why they do it like that (I guess it's just easier). My recommendation to you is to ditch TinyXML++ and just go with TinyXML. It's still C++, it just doesn't use templates and exceptions as heavily (or at all).