I am having a problem programming games with VC++6.0

Started by
4 comments, last by Boxburger 22 years, 9 months ago
I have recently gotten back into programming and I really want to do games. I loaded up on a bunch of programming books(Black Art of 3D Game Programming, Teach Yourself Game Programming in 21 days, etc..). I also got a great deal on an enterprise edition of Visual Studio, but when I put in any of the examples in the books I get several errors. Am I stupid or can I not use mode 13 or any other vga modes with visual C++ 6.0? Is there a thing in the setup of VC++ 6.0 that lets me go this far back into programming history? Part of the reason I got such a great deal for the enterprise edition is that it didn''t come with manuals. I can''t even put a damn pixel on the screen. Please Help. I know this is a very simple question but any suggestions would be great.
Advertisement
Getting the blue screen of death? You can''t really use "Black Art of 3D Game Programming" anymore, because windows won''t let you. Really, the only way to go is to learn win32 or MFC programming, then DirectX or OpenGL. Of course, the book is great for the conceptual and mathematical aspects of games. I don''t really want to tell you to buy another book, but "Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Guru" (also by LaMothe) is awsome. It covers basic win32, then DirectX.
Good luck!
Remember - Hard work pays off in the long run, but laziness pays off immediately.
what errors do you get?
The newer versions of microsoft visual c++ are win32 based.
That is to say they Only compile to win32 programs.
And win32 programs are not allowed to call (almost all) interupts.
This makes it impossible to directly use mode 13 and vga and such with win32. You need to access this functionality through drivers or api''s like DirectX/OpenGL.

Just because the church was wrong doesn''t mean Galileo wasn''t a heretic.
It just means he was a heretic who was right.
Just because the church was wrong doesn't mean Galileo wasn't a heretic.It just means he was a heretic who was right.
Try using Borland''s Turbo C compiler. I that Borland offers it for free on their website. It should be everything you need to compile and run the old mode13h programs.

I know only that which I know, but I do not know what I know.
quote:Original post by Daishi
Try using Borland''s Turbo C compiler. I that Borland offers it for free on their website. It should be everything you need to compile and run the old mode13h programs.

That will probably not help as it''s not a compiler specific thing, it''s a windows thing. When you run windows, it takes control of the system and crashes if you try to run a program that calls any interrupts. If he really wants to run his Mode 13 programs, he''ll need to boot his machine in DOS( not the command prompt from windows, a real DOS ), if that''s still possible and use a dos compiler. That should solve all his problems...

"And that''s the bottom line cause I said so!"

Cyberdrek
Headhunter Soft
A division of DLC Multimedia

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!

"gitty up" -- Kramer
[Cyberdrek | ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement