Simple question about Visual C++ 6.0

Started by
2 comments, last by Boxburger 22 years, 9 months ago
I have recently gotten back into programming and I really want to do games. I loaded up on a bunch of programming books(Black Art of 3D Game Programming, Teach Yourself Game Programming in 21 days, etc..). I also got a great deal on an enterprise edition of Visual Studio, but when I put in any of the examples in the books I can''t get anything to run. Am I stupid or can I not use mode 13 or any other vga modes with visual C++ 6.0? Is there something in the setup of VC++ 6.0 that lets me go this far back into programming history? Part of the reason I got such a great deal for the enterprise edition is that it didn''t come with manuals. I can''t even put a damn pixel on the screen. Please Help. I know this is a very simple question but any suggestions would be great.
Advertisement
Nope, with MSVC6.0 the console applications are actually windows applications and require windows to run, as a result windows won''t allow you access to interrupts and ports without your iopl being around 0...however, if you get an old dos compiler---windows will emulate the stuff and you can use mode13h and stuff just like you normally would.
Different question... why are you still wanting to write in DOS? Novelty?

If you can spend about an hour learning it (a decent book will help), you can learn OpenGL, and do just about anything with that...

--Tr][aD--
--Tr][aD--
Maybe you''re aware of this, but anyway: All of the Visual Studio documentation is available online at http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement