Do you ever play "real" games?

Started by
22 comments, last by Siegfried 22 years, 9 months ago
Do you ever play real games, modern games. From what ive seen of your ideas for games I would have thought that we were in 1990. Have you not played the brilliant opperation flashpoint or Hidden and Dangerous? If you have why do u all want to make these crappy old style 2d RPGs with wizards, goblins and that shit. Why not try something new, we have the technology and many of you havre the skill. Now what i mean by a modern game is not Final Fantasy 8 or diablo 2 because they are old ideas, in an old style. Programmers, Artists, Designers, you do on the whole lack any new inspiration, just forget RPGs and try something new.
The gaming world will never move on because of your obsession with RPGs!!!
Advertisement
Uh, this dosn''t look like flame bait?

Answer to your question:

Because this is what we feel like doing. Generaly RPG is any kind of interactive world with charctisation and development (depending on your view point). The reason that we like this kind of game style is:

A) because, no it hasn''t really been done well, there are lots of klick''n''kills

B) RPGs cover a wide range of things that are posible, it is hard to create somthing with a similar feel to RPG, without being an RPG

Personaly, I have been trying to make an RPG that has both really good graphics, and self generated story (entirly non-liner). Some people think I am mad because I am not only straying away from standard (Diablo II) RPGs, but it would be really hard to make. Well I don''t care because I have set it as a chalange. I am sure if you had seen more stuff on this forum, you would see that, while we do make lots of RPGs, most of them have a huge ammount of innovation which is a massive credit to their creator (you know who you are, guys, you rock )

Anyways, your question has been answered, I will leave it up to MKV weather or not to close this most obvious flame bait thread.

ANDREW RUSSELL STUDIOS
Sigh..... This is how to make a good game

1. Think of a great film
2. Think why you enjoyed the film
3. Try and put the great aspects of the film into a game (without the game baring too much relevance to the film)
4. Take good aspects from other films and bobs ur uncle.... a great game!!!

For example if I was making a game I would incorperate the atmosphere of the helicopter attack in Apochalypse Now, that would be fun...
The gaming world will never move on because of your obsession with RPGs!!!
How nice from you to share your secret.
I''m sure no one has ever thought of that before.
Now that everybody knows how to make l33t r0x0r games everyone here will make only games you like, because you obviously have the best style.

Once again thank you

Humanity''s first sin was faith; the first virtue was doubt
Humanity's first sin was faith; the first virtue was doubt
Why don´t me make something like Operation Flashpoint....

Hmm...let me think...Well...we are amateurs...we code games in our sparetime...

Most of us simply don´t have the technical knowledge to make a game like Operation Flashpoint...And it would require good artists as well....Many of us have no artists at all...

But let me ask...What are YOU doing ? It must be something very cool !!!
-------------Ban KalvinB !
SkyRat, if that wasn''t sarcasm, I don''t know that iw was...

And Siegfried, games are not movies. Read some posts from the past.

Boby Dimitrov
boby@shararagames.com
Sharara Games Team
Boby Dimitrovhttp://forums.rpgbg.netBulgarian RPG Community
quote:Original post by Siegfried
Do you ever play real games, modern games. From what ive seen of your ideas for games I would have thought that we were in 1990. Have you not played the brilliant opperation flashpoint or Hidden and Dangerous? If you have why do u all want to make these crappy old style 2d RPGs with wizards, goblins and that shit. Why not try something new, we have the technology and many of you havre the skill. Now what i mean by a modern game is not Final Fantasy 8 or diablo 2 because they are old ideas, in an old style. Programmers, Artists, Designers, you do on the whole lack any new inspiration, just forget RPGs and try something new.

Haven''t you ever heard about not saying anything if you don''t have anything good to say. People don''t really care about what you have to say. If we like RPGs or 3D shooters or what ever, Let them do it and if you think you''ve got something with your idea, why don''t you make it????

"And that''s the bottom line cause I said so!"

Cyberdrek
Headhunter Soft
A division of DLC Multimedia

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!
[Cyberdrek | ]
You are right Siegfried. Now I see that all of my discussion related to situation creation, graph partitioning of knowledge bases, abductive reasoning, resolution refutation, characters which have belief systems and hypothesize about world states, planning using situation calculus, calculation of drainage basin networks for erosion simulation and caching the results of form factors from terrain patches to skydome patches are all of the archaic methods of games of the early ''90s.

And no, I have never played a real game. I have only played fake ones. My favorite fake game was Zork I by Infocom. And what is Operation Flashpoint? I honestly have never heard of it. But then again, I generally don''t pay too much attention to the current crop of games. A failure of mine no doubt. Instead, I am wrapped up in games of a more ''real'' nature, like climbing fourteen thousand foot peaks, building a business, exploring my corner of the world, and in general learning from it, so I may draw inspiration and knowledge from it to develop new ideas for games of tomorrow.

Yes, in fact just last night I beat down my father in a game of chess. And I do so love a game of Scrabble. Oh, wait, you''re not talking *REAL* real games, you''re talking the latest crop of mindless drivel that has been coming out recently for my PC. Yes, I play quite alot of that too, mindless drivel games are pretty fun. But they really do lack the style of, say, Space Quest.

-Ryan "Run_The_Shadows"
-Run_The_Shadows@excite.com
"Doubt Everything. Find your own light." -Dying words of Gautama
//BLATANT PLUG
My manic new web journal! Warning: Some ''adult'' language used, not suitable for anyone without a sense of deep-thought and cynicism
Sorry, I didn''t read all the posts, so someone may have covered this already but...

The very essence of a game is that there IS NO RIGHT WAY! These games are meant to be flexible and everchanging. There is no recipe book in which is says:

To make a game:

1/2 cup blockbuster movie
3 tsp intelligent script (optional)
5 lb. flashy eye candy
2 cups swords and sorcery
pinch of giant monsters that can only be defated by _______
Sprinkle liberally with underdressed, over endowed women.

instructions:
throw ingredients into a large bowl, mix well, randomly pull out ideas, insert $6 billion into production machine, relase to clueless public. ^_^

Sorry again, didn''t mean to go off on that. But the point is, even if all games, or evan all succseful games, seem to follow a pattern, it doesn''t mean that that''s the right way to make a game. Point in case: Black & White.

Oh well, enough of my bitching. Have fun flaming me.

-----------------------------

Vash the Stampede

"Love & Peace!"
// Tojiart

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement