DirectX vs Allegro

Started by
5 comments, last by そら 22 years, 9 months ago
Hi I have da posibility of starting a new game programming company, but I want to be shure what should I use for development between "DirectX" or "Allegro". since allegro has a VERY friendly interface and it''s code could be portable for other platforms such as Linux, Mac, and so forth. I think that for its friandly interface Allegro could help focusing more on the game... but... wich do you recommend more for game development on the profetional industry, DirextX or Allegro?
"lots of shoulddas, coulddas, woulddas in the air, thinking about things they shouldda couldda wouldda donne, however all those shoulddas coulddas woulddas ran away when they saw the little did to come"
Advertisement
OpenGL sounds a better choice to me. Portable, widely supported, easy(ish) interface. Only graphics though I suppose...

Frank
If you have the time, DirectX and whatever platform-specific APIs do the job.
Allegro uses DirectX under windows.
ya, Allegro under the win32 build uses DirectX. It is made for the beginner game devoper that doesn''t want to mess all the extra code involved with game making. (it would be good to learn DirectX later on though)

HHSDrum@yahoo.com
Polarisoft Home Page
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
I wouldn''t mess around with allegro... I tried it out in djgpp and I don''t like it... I''d say eather learn Direct X or OpenGl... direct x seems to work better on win32''s than opengl... the only opengl program that''s run so far for me is glquake... but then again I''ve got a pos gfx card... I haven''t learned opengl yet... planing on doing it... but like frankd said it is easly protable...
The Great Milenko"Don't stick a pretzel up your ass, it might get stuck in there.""Computer Programming is findding the right wrench to hammer in the correct screw."
Funny thing you posted this thread! I was just thinking about Allegro late last night before I went to bed!

Anyway, I''m an old Allegro user. I used it about 4 years ago, when it started getting big. Honestly, I loved it. Alegro is a GREAT way to start your game programming days. It''ll help you see concepts within game programming easily and clearly, and the learning curve for beginners is great. I am speaking from experience. Allegro helped me made some pretty nifty games, including a street fighter vs fatal fury vs Mortal Kombat game. I did it in one summer, with all the bells and whistles (no doubt, i''d probably leave a link for download, but the source/game was lost in a great disaster (accidental format )

Allegro was orignally a DOS library for DJGPP (well for the DOS port at least). It worked incredibly, and some guys later made a Windows wrapper through DirectX, called WinAllegro (remember that anybody?) Now the windows port is completly integrated in the whole Allegro package, and thumbs up to that.

However, one of Allegro''s drawbacks is the absence of network/multiplayer functionality. This is partially due to fact that Shawn (original author of Allegro) wants to keep Allegro portable, and to add that functionality will inherintly cause it to be platform specific. So if you plan to do a multiplayer title in the near future, Allegro is not the way to go. Hopefully Shawn sometime will agree and put it in, even though it might take some work.

If you just want to make a non-network title and to get your feet wet, then Allegro is definitely the way to go. It''s easy, simple, runs great, and most of all, it''s completely free. Take it from me, I''ve learned quite alot from it. However later on you might want to look into DirectX, not because it''s easy (I hated DirectX when I first learned it, in fact, in many ways I still do hate it to death) but because it''s the only way to make games these days. Microcough has definitely taken over the standard of making games and multimedia applications on the winblows platform (which almost every human being alive is running right now)

So take my advice, go do Allegro, come back to us with a great game, and when you''re ready, move and transfer your newly learned skills into DirectX. If you need a little leg up in getting started, just email me at khoifish@yahoo.com i''ll happily help you out jakovo

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement