What would it take....?

Started by
5 comments, last by Trapper Zoid 15 years ago
Hello, I am new here...im just curious. How much capital and time would it take to develope a standard 20-25 hr RPG game from concept stage. Another words, what is all the standard costs and what is the process of developing a game and taking it to market? Please direct me to a related-topic if this has already been touched on.
Advertisement
This is a case of "if you have to ask" in terms of cost.

Also, your question is too vague to give an answer for. 25 hour RPG is a completely subjective term. I could make a timed game that was a text screen where you simply type the word "hit monster" over and over again as a number increases in like 10 minutes. Or if you're talking about something like Oblivion? We're talking like a hundred or more people on the development team working for years.
_______________________"You're using a screwdriver to nail some glue to a ming vase. " -ToohrVyk
Yeah, something as polished as Oblivion or a modern Baulder's Gate 70+ people, 3-5 years & in the neighborhood of 40 million dollars

Something on the order of Diablo 3: maybe 120+ people, 6+ years & ballpark 100+ million dollars. go blizzard [smile]

-me
Quote:Original post by Brok_Homz
Please direct me to a related-topic if this has already been touched on.

http://www.sloperama.com/advice/finances.htm

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote:Original post by Tom Sloper
Quote:Original post by Brok_Homz
Please direct me to a related-topic if this has already been touched on.

http://www.sloperama.com/advice/finances.htm

woah that article was amazing! thankyou for that!

If only I had that kind of capital :P
Quote:Original post by M2tM
This is a case of "if you have to ask"...

pick up a book, go to school, realise this will take you years. Unless you got somthing along the lines of 220+ million dollars to start up a company and hire others to do the work you know nothing about. Still Id suggest you learn first. Profitable games are no easy task.

[ dev journal ]
[ current projects' videos ]
[ Zolo Project ]
I'm not mean, I just like to get to the point.
That's why you have publishers. Of course, you need a team good enough to warrant them opening their cheque books.

You can alternatively take the indie approach. It's worked well for Spiderweb Software who make a living off indie RPGs. However, if you're working full time you'll still need to pay for you and your team's living expenses, and you won't have a multi-million dollar art budget. And you'll have to deal with all the marketing and publicity yourself. Still doable, though, if you have the right skillset and an enormous amount of drive.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement