Yet another language thread

Started by
6 comments, last by SimonForsman 15 years ago
Hey guys, I am really confused right now about what language to be learning in terms of programming for games. I have been learning C++ for about 6 months now in the hope that it will lead into API-type learning for me. However, I have heard several opinions from people that C# is better, as it will most probably replace C++. What should I learn? Managed DirectX? XNA? DirectX(plainC++)?OpenGL? I'd just like to hear some opinions about which way to go about this, I keep changing my mind. I appreciate you all for reading so far and would like you to express your opinions. Thanks in Advance, Aristo
Advertisement
Have you been successful in learning C++? If so, try a larger project to see how you manage. If not, you may wish to try another language.

Opinions such as "language X is better" are nonsense. Languages are tools, and every tool is better in some circumstances and worse in other circumstances.

Opinions such as "C# will probably replace C++" are irrelevant. Nobody will come and erase C++ from your brain. If you are worried that you might be learning an useless language, do not forget that the more languages you know, even if those languages have no industry application, the better programmer you are. A company that does not use C++ will hire a candidate who knows C# and C++ over a candidate who knows only C#.
I completely agree with ToohrVyk, because this is exactly my case: where I work, I use C# and ActionScript, but the main reason I was hired above others was that I had a good knowledge of c++.

C++ might be in use or not by many companies in the industry, but all of them aknowledge that knowing C++ requires being a -disciplined- programmer, which is what actually most companies value, it just means "you know the stuff"

Now, I know I'm going to be bashed for this... I don't mind, the fact is that I have a job thanks to knowing c++, even if I program in other languages.

And keep in mind:

Once you know one, it's easy to pick up the other. This is probably more true moving from C++ to C# than the other way around, but learning either will never be a waste of time.
yeah like said moving isn't as hard once you understand one. Take my self i know many languages. Every once in awhile i go back study the standard to clean up my coding. But from a programmer point a view a language is just an interface to what is being told to the pc. It may be easier to work in c# because of the massive support poured into it. This is esp true when you look at the ide big boy visual studio. It has many feature going into c# than it does c++. but c++ does a nice job in making the audience feel the flow of programming to a certain device whether than letting the compiler chose for you.
Bring more Pain
Learning C# after using C++ for about 8 years took me a matter of hours.

I flipped through a few XNA tutorials and it was done. I have yet to explore Windows Forms and the rest of the .NET family, but right now it's of no concern to me. The language itself is very similar, and extremely easy to pick up after C++. I recommend you take that route, then you'll have 2 languages under your belt.

"The right, man, in the wrong, place, can make all the dif-fer-rence in the world..." - GMan, Half-Life 2

A blog of my SEGA Megadrive development adventures: http://www.bigevilcorporation.co.uk

Ok, uh thanks to everyone for their replies.

I have decided to stick with C++ and move into the APIs now, just one thought:
Do these APIs stick only to C++? I am still a little confused at to how this works. I feel like a pathetic idiot :o
Would it be better if I stuck to C++ because of the wider API usage?

Quote:Original post by Arkanus
Ok, uh thanks to everyone for their replies.

I have decided to stick with C++ and move into the APIs now, just one thought:
Do these APIs stick only to C++? I am still a little confused at to how this works. I feel like a pathetic idiot :o
Would it be better if I stuck to C++ because of the wider API usage?

Most languages can access native libraries so the language those libraries/APIs were written in is irrelevant.
Unless you decide to go with brainfuck or some other esoteric language you will have easy access to all commonly used APIs and can use/abuse the ability to interface with native libraries yourself to get to the rest.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement