Steampunk: The plight of a forgotten and an ingenious genre

Started by
26 comments, last by Dex Jackson 15 years ago
Yvanhoe, I agree that -punk is more of the street-level activity of the lower social class (in a way think street "fighter," but notice why I emphasis fighter. This "figher" means a gang member literally). But we do know that words change definition over time, and sometimes the word change but the meaning is the same.

For example, the word "wereman." If you know that in old english, wereman is male, woman is female, and man is genderneutral, then you know how arrogant they were to remove the were- prefix.

In my opinion, Steampunk would be a world where technology is develop through the powersource of heating water to create steam, and then do mechanical work with the steam. So a means of transport would be "steam powered trains."
I use QueryPerformanceFrequency(), and the result averages to 8 nanoseconds or about 13 cpu cycles (1.66GHz CPU). Is that reasonable?
I though that the assembly equivalent to accessing unaligned data would be something similar to this order:

• move
  • mask
  • shift
  • move
  • mask
  • shift
  • or

So it seems reasonable to say that it takes 14 cycles for unaligned data since we'll have to do the series of instructions once to access and once to assign?
Advertisement
I didn't read it all but from what I gathered it seems that Bioshock would fit into your opinion of the steampunk genre quite nicely :D

Would you consider Bioshock to be steampunk? In case you haven't played it, there are powers you can obtain through bio-engineering. Would it still be considered steampunk?
Quote:Original post by Dex Jackson
in truth, the fantasy genres have nothing to do with each with it. Magic with Science, to give a common instance- I don't think so somehow!

Then you're missing the point.

All science fiction involves magic. Some element added to the fictional world that is not real that drives the story, works as a moral analogy to today, or some stylistic force. A ray gun and a magic wand are not really different. They have the same effect, they involve the same leap of faith from the reader/player to accept that they exist in the fictional world. It's just a presentation difference.

Steampunk is just Victorian science fiction. It places the magic within gears and contraptions and aether rather than wands and pixies or ray guns and FTL drives. An interesting and entertaining presentation, but realistically it's not anything as distinct or unique as you seem to consider it.
Magic is science. The only difference is the audience does not have enough scientific backgroud to see the science that is involve. Physics and Chemistry can be use to describe all of magic that are posible in this world, but it is the responsibility of the magician to hide these clues from the audience.
I use QueryPerformanceFrequency(), and the result averages to 8 nanoseconds or about 13 cpu cycles (1.66GHz CPU). Is that reasonable?
I though that the assembly equivalent to accessing unaligned data would be something similar to this order:

• move
  • mask
  • shift
  • move
  • mask
  • shift
  • or

So it seems reasonable to say that it takes 14 cycles for unaligned data since we'll have to do the series of instructions once to access and once to assign?
Re: "Magic is Science":

Platinum_Dragon : I'd have to say that you shouldn't confuse the concept of magic with illusionism, in which a guy pulls rabbits out of his hat using sleight of hand.

Then I'd argue that the difference between magic and science is that magic is fundamentally unexplainable/illogical in terms of the actual mechanics/processes/functions of the real universe, while science is the the body of knowledge and study of the actual mechanics/processes/functions of the real universe. Or something like that.

With that definition, to borrow from Clarke's quote that "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic", the point is not that technology is magic, it is that it is indistinguishable to an observer without the knowledge to contextualize the technology properly. And then to borrow from Telastyn's point, he is quite right in saying that science fiction involves what is essentially magic because more or less plausible plot elements are used which the author cannot actually explain in terms of science.

In a fictional setting, magic can be science-like, for example in China Mieville's Bas-Lag setting, or magic can be seen as antagonistic to science somehow, like in Arcanum. Magic can be highly "spiritual" (and I won't try to offer a definition of what that could mean this early in the morning) and anthropocentric, tied to human thoughts, feelings, and symbols, which is usually what fantasy settings do, rather than going with the feeling of science because it's easier to do (don't have to work out an imaginary system of science) and works way better for character-driven stories which are by their definition 'anthropocentric, tied to human thoughts, feelings, and symbols'. <br><br>Of course maybe it's really just a matter of not having to explain or justify why a game mechanic operates in terms of the real world, or at least in the game-fiction world – Why can you teleport across the map? Magic! – Done.<br><br>Edit: Writing in the morning pre-caffeine is bad. <br>My intended point was something about how the impressions of magic and science are used in art for different reasons, and I didn't manage to bring it back to steampunk, which is perhaps a mixture of the two.<br><br><!–EDIT–><span class=editedby><!–/EDIT–>[Edited by - dbaumgart on April 3, 2009 4:47:05 PM]<!–EDIT–></span><!–/EDIT–>
I would say that there was a few dungeon and dragon books that describe magic using science. It describe using the spell fireball with a flamable substance. In essent, it is the lack of scientific knowledge by the others that they call it magic, but it is purely science. That fact is that if you don't know how something work then you have no right to talk about it. Without explaining a process, then there is no process, and people keep saying "it just happens" without knowing the cause. That is because there is not enough people with college level education so that you can easily brainwash them with the so called magic. It is to say that people cannot explain that is they are not of college level. They are just a bunch of people that you can brainwash anytime without any problem. And with these people, you can just say magic and not explain to them. Things do have fundamental occurance but higher level knowledge is something that we don't want other people to have. The education system is set up for people to fail so that the ones with intelligence can rule the ones with less. If you take the real world, then you can say that all of the laws of physics are not real because they are not disproven yet does not mean that you cannot disprove them. The real world has nothing real about it. Everything is not real. We only assume that it is real, but it is not real in the highest of the scientific perspective. You can only prove false to things with the scientific method. You cannot prove things. When others say magic, they are blaming magic because they are not at college level so they cannot explain how these things can occur.

Magic is not fundamentally unexplainable, but that those whom lack college level education try to create new ideas that cannot occur in the real world. Even what you can real magic that occurs in the real world, not those illusions that you say, but the miracles that occur in the Old Testiment or such can occur in real life, but you will have to know that they are hiding facts from others to maintain a higher position in the social hierarchy.

Off Topic:
God is weaker than human. He lost in wrestling to a human.
God is not perfect. He choose a person that is not good, and called him good, but later say that He is not perfect as an excuse for selecting a not good person.
According to the BIBLE, then God whom is neither all knowing, nor all powerful is just some other human whom us the word WE to speak of Himself, and that we have to call Him one entity when He Himself use the plural tense to call Himself.

To tie the off topic portion to topic slightly, I will say that magic is usually backed up with GOD as it sources. <br><br>Back to side topic:<br>We don't know the physical world, we &#111;nly see patterns in the world and create Physical Laws after these patterns, but science is &#111;nly the knowledge but not the facts of the real world, as there is no such thing as facts in the scientific perspective.<br><br>Sorry for arguing about Magic in your topic that is not suppose to have Magic in it.

• move
  • mask
  • shift
  • move
  • mask
  • shift
  • or

Umm, what?

I'm not sure if you're just a troll or stoned or what...

Fictional worlds need no scientific basis for things that exist in them; no physical laws need govern their existence.
The more realistic a game, the better people can make connection to it, so that players are more satisfied with the game from the connection they have with the game.

• move
  • mask
  • shift
  • move
  • mask
  • shift
  • or

Currently, the video game with most sales is Pokemon Platinum followed by Resident Evil 5. Care to explain how evil spirits raising the dead and taming monsters by sticking them in little spheres has anything to do with realism?
Quote:Original post by Platinum_Dragon
The more realistic a game, the better people can make connection to it, so that players are more satisfied with the game from the connection they have with the game.

Escapism says the opposite.

Why would the players care if the fireball is created through manipulation of a flammable material or through manipulation of invisible forces?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement