i want to be a designer!

Started by
9 comments, last by Leafy 22 years, 9 months ago
hi all, i''m new to all this stuff so i need some help from the one''s with experience! i''ve just left school and i want to be a games designer. I realise that i''m to young and in-experienced to get a job in a big company like Codemasters or somewhere like that. So i need some advice on how i can get in to games desinging. I mean, how do i go about putting forward my idea''s, how do i start being a designer???? please give me some advice on this, because i really want to be a games designer! cheers, Leafy
Advertisement
Geesh, the "good" gamedesigners have years of experience and are able to understand all aspects of making a game. I really cant imagine just jumping into the gaming industry with no experience and wanting to be a game designer. Im sorry if this is not what your looking for, but I feel what I say is true. From what I''m told and from what I''ve read, you need to have knowledge in all areas, if not most , of making a complete good game. Then, you need to be a great writer and be able to understand the limitations of designing games on specefic platorms. Hope that was of some help.
bad!
you want to be a game designer? then design games. seriously. get experience. design a game and build it by yourself or with a friend from scratch. understand gaming, understand the medium, and play around with it.

<(o)>
<(o)>
become a programmer or 3d artist. Then get a job at a game company. If they think you have design skills eventually you''ll get to be a designer. That is the path that nearly all game designers take so it is your best chance, go for it.
Have you done any kind of design before? Not just games, but architecture, costume, layout, worldbuilding, anything? In my experience people who are good at some type of design are more likely to be good game designers because they already know the process and some of the tricks of the trade.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

yeah - start studying up on programming, art, sound, and how it all fits together to make a game since all these will have to fit together and mesh to make a good game. I''m not saying you have to be able to personally do them all - just understand how they are done. This will accelerate you - many people have years of experience before becoming a game designer. If you can obtain a lot of the knowledge beforehand, the experience should come easier. And yes, it''s better becoming a lowly peon first (programmer, artist) and working up while designing and making games in your spare time.

==============================
"Need more eeenput..."
- #5, "Short Circuit"
==============================

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

The way i got started (and the a lot of designers get started) is to get a job in QA, otherwise known as testing. You won''t need any qualifications, just a love of games. In QA you will learn a lot about how games are made and other aspects of the game industry. Whilst in QA, try to get to know the designer well, read his work and start working on your own game designs at home. The best way to impress your boss is to show him that you are really keen.

Good Luck!
Leafy... you don''t want to work for Codemasters. Trust me, I''ve been there... what a mess Nice reception though.

Anyway.

Games companies in the UK require a degree for 80% of their positions. Few of them are employing unqualified testers. I can just suggest that you (a) take up programming or mod-building so that you have something tangible to show, and (b) get a degree so that they even bother to invite you to interview.
thanks for the replies guys!
I don''t think i''d be able to do the programming part, but i could certainly do design or sound etc!
I have just finished school, where i was studying GCSE Art and GCSE I.T.
I''m expecting to pass both of these with grades C and B respectively.
i have also got a placement on an I.T. course (which includes Web design) which will give me an NVQ level2. i''m then going to go on with the course and try for an NVQ level3.
Do you think all this will help me?
thanks again.
BaZ

quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
The way i got started (and the a lot of designers get started) is to get a job in QA, otherwise known as testing. You won''t need any qualifications, just a love of games. In QA you will learn a lot about how games are made and other aspects of the game industry. Whilst in QA, try to get to know the designer well, read his work and start working on your own game designs at home. The best way to impress your boss is to show him that you are really keen.

Just wanted to second AP here. I got into games through QA too (programmers, not designer though).

I didn''t see it specifically mentioned, but it''s important: Really develop your writing and communication skills. You''ll have to persuade and sell your concept, and it never hurts to be really charismatic and articulate in doing so.

Another track to game design I''ve seen is Product Management / Producer. In the places I worked the PM had a great deal of editorial input, as well as the pull to champion or even green light a project or prototype. Assistant product managers, though they have to deal with a lot of grunt work, can eventually work themselves into a position where they''re able to do a lot of design.

I don''t know many people, btw, who are full time designers at a company. They exist, but most of the time I hear that the designer has to be able to do something else like product management, coding, or gfx. So in the beginning, you may find yourself as "The Artist Who Does Design" before you find yourself called a designer.

Good luck!

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement