Which Publisher?

Started by
10 comments, last by jazzykat 22 years, 9 months ago
Yo I have made a cool version of pack man, it has 1st, 3rd, Isometrix and level overview , views + Really cool models and lighting with werid textures it is a really kiddies game. 10 levels of non stop fun. Now where to get it published I have heard some bad things about CI so I''m looking at non-exlcusive publishers I don''t think Inca Gold will be interested so there is X treme Games and E-games anyone else, I really want ot get the as much cash out of this game as possable. So plzzzzzz help me
Life Expectancy (c) copyright 2001Jazzy KaTz Interactive (c) copyright 2001
Advertisement
Keep this old saying in mind when dealing with publishers (and publisher should keep it in mind when dealing with developers too)

"When you pay with peanuts you may not wonder when apes work for
you."

This is true for both sides.
Thanks I will keep it in mind but still I don''t know which publishers to go to

Life Expectancy (c) copyright 2001
Jazzy KaTz Interactive (c) copyright 2001
why you don''t want to distribute it as shareware?
Jazzy,

Since you describe your game as a "PacMan" a-like...I would be very careful trying to publish it. The PacMan copyright is held by Hasbro and they are VERY active in protecting their IP. They have pointed their lawyers at several PacMan clones in the past.

Publishing a game that is TOO close to the original PacMan could have dire legal consequences.

[edit]Holy crap my typing is terrible![/edit]

Edited by - Ran13 on July 6, 2001 2:56:45 PM
DAMN, This game is a pacman clone and now that I now it is copywritten. It will never see the light. Thanks Ran :*(, Damn >_<
Uh oh...

On the subject of cloning games. I am currently working on a Pacman style clone. It''s more of a test run as far as my game programming goes. However I planned to upload my work so other people could check it out (freeware). The characters are fairly similar and the game works around the same premise, eating pellets, avoiding ghosts, etc. All the graphics, while based on the original pacman, where developed by me (same with the sounds). Is it possible I could run into trouble even though it''s going to be freeware?
It depends on where you live too. If you''re in the USA I wouldn''t try it.

My companies website: www.nielsbauergames.com

Anything you program that''s good always has value on a resume.

You might just be better off releasing it as freeware so people can see what you can do. Free advertising is what it comes down to.

Use the knowledge you gained making this game to make something completely origional and use the popularity of your clone to promote it.

Ben
http://therabbithole.redback.inficad.com
I agree with KalvinB, release it as freeware, if youre trying to sell something, next time people will know you. If you´re serious about getting a job in the industry then you´ll have something for your portfolio (which is very, very, very important).

And if youre seriously looking for a publisher, dont go for the "best" deal at all costs. It is far more important to find a publisher you can trust, if there is one in your are i´d go with that one, because its an invaluable help when you can actually go there and look at how they do things.

So the one phrase to remember when shopping for publishers (assuming that you know that your product is good) is "too good to be true?"

for publishers, xcept the ones you mentioned theres "real", theyre big enough to be more or less trustworthy. And also approach other game companies (that are usually not into shareware), they might be interested in your game as a sort of bonus to add to any of they full-price games (not likely in your case, as hasbro is too aggressive about copyrights), or they might actually ask you to make something for them, especially in the arcade sector (machines that is), it´s usually not that difficult to get a job (one poject, full paying jobs are rare).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement