Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

generate polygons in-game?

This topic is 6008 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is there any way to generate polygons in-game? Like, say in the game you could breed flowers, and some numbers correspond to the shape of the flower, and in the next generation of flowers there''s a mutation that changes these numbers, is there any way to generate a new flowerlike shape from these numbers? I''ve seen programs where you can breed simplified fractals and other shapes in 2-d, but how could you do it in 3-d?

Put those numbers into a routine that uses various algorithms to generate a bunch of triangles. These triangles are passed to the 3D card to render. This is how the OpenGL teapot and other shapes are made. The teapot is just a bunch of algorithms.

Edited by - Sly on July 1, 2001 12:58:38 AM

Ah, sunandshadow, what a pleasant surprise to find you over here in the graphics forum!

To answer your question: Yes!

The technique is known as procedural. Procedural generation of structures, data amplification, fractals, L-systems, and so on. You might find this site on L-systems interesting.

quote:
Original post by Zaei
Does anyone know how to create a procedural mobius strip?

Images of Escheresque imagery complete with marching ants...

A ribbon, twisted 180 degrees along its length, and joined end to end after traversing the path of a figure eight. A bit of trigonometry, and we have our mobiius strip.

Hi bishop pass. Boy, I bump into you everywhere. Normally I stay out of this forum because I''m allergic to higher math, but in this case I wanted to make sure what I wanted to do was doable before I built it into my game design. Anyway, thanks all for your prompt answers!

I suppose curved surfaces could also fit in there. They have a few control points, a position for the curve, probably a few other things, and the polys are calculated based on some algorithm, aren''t they?