• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sunandshadow

generate polygons in-game?

This topic is 6197 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is there any way to generate polygons in-game? Like, say in the game you could breed flowers, and some numbers correspond to the shape of the flower, and in the next generation of flowers there''s a mutation that changes these numbers, is there any way to generate a new flowerlike shape from these numbers? I''ve seen programs where you can breed simplified fractals and other shapes in 2-d, but how could you do it in 3-d?

Advertisement
Put those numbers into a routine that uses various algorithms to generate a bunch of triangles. These triangles are passed to the 3D card to render. This is how the OpenGL teapot and other shapes are made. The teapot is just a bunch of algorithms.

Edited by - Sly on July 1, 2001 12:58:38 AM

Ah, sunandshadow, what a pleasant surprise to find you over here in the graphics forum!

To answer your question: Yes!

The technique is known as procedural. Procedural generation of structures, data amplification, fractals, L-systems, and so on. You might find this site on L-systems interesting.

quote:
Original post by Zaei
Does anyone know how to create a procedural mobius strip?

Images of Escheresque imagery complete with marching ants...

A ribbon, twisted 180 degrees along its length, and joined end to end after traversing the path of a figure eight. A bit of trigonometry, and we have our mobiius strip.

Hi bishop pass. Boy, I bump into you everywhere. Normally I stay out of this forum because I''m allergic to higher math, but in this case I wanted to make sure what I wanted to do was doable before I built it into my game design. Anyway, thanks all for your prompt answers!

I suppose curved surfaces could also fit in there. They have a few control points, a position for the curve, probably a few other things, and the polys are calculated based on some algorithm, aren''t they?

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!