A directX Issue!! with Visual Basic...

Started by
9 comments, last by chaoticseed 22 years, 9 months ago
I''ve been all over trying to figure out ANYHTING about directx, but its doing me no good, I can try to study the code in VB, but i can only understand bits and pieces leaving me nowhere. I''ve repeatedly read tutorials, but they never explain the essentials(the ones i''ve seen, and i''ve seen alot!) At this point I know NOTHING about directx. im very frustrated, sorry! it just sems like everywhere i go to learn, it offers totally nothing, they mostly just give you the code and tell you to memorize it. Theres way to much to memorize at first, i haven''t even began my learning curve! get it! What im saying is, Can someone plz help me out with this, im gonna die if i don''t learn something soon! How do i start off, where do i start off? I don''t mean to be a nusance, but can someone help me plz! thank u for listening!~
Advertisement
first of all...

forget Visual Basic, it is not the best tool to use.

get yourself a good book about c++ programming and read.

Get a compiler (visual c++ for example) and try some code.

In a few months, you will start with directx or opengl !!

For now, just read ....

Hey,

We''ve had thousands of discussions about C++ vs. VB, and it just comes down that VB is just as fast (maybe faster to design, slower in FPS) and that it''s _very_ easy to write slow code in VB. I''m author of VB Fibre, a site dedicated to see how you can speed up your VB code, and by how much %. For example x * x is _way_ faster than x ^ 2. (about 10 times). Anyway, the site is currently down because DigitalRice stopped supporting ASP.

VB is a good language, and performs well for games (Let''s face it: All your matrix rotations are done by using a DirectX dll, so it will be as fast in C++, as in VB)

Chaoticseed:
Try: http://www.vbexplorer.com/directx4vb and http://www.rookscape.com/vbgaming These two sites are the best around. The latter also includes a link section with links that will give you even more information.

Also check the games sections... there are new games under development that will even make C++ developers blink their eyes twice.

Almar

www.persistentrealities.com for Inline ASM for VB, VB Fibre, and other nice code samples in C++, PHP, ASP, etc.<br/>Play Yet Another Laser Game!<br/>
thx,

i belive ya, the c language is ok with me, i still want to learn, but i have coded with it before long enough to say vb makes it alot easier, and with directx helping out it makes it competitive with the c coders! Beware!

Thx again!

chaoticseed
Anything calculation intensive is going to be slower in VB than c++... so it''s a good idea to write those bits in c++ and the rest of the program in VB.
I''ll quote myself again...

"It''s easy to write slow code in VB"

There are not many (VB) programmers that know the difference between ''\'' and ''/'', and often make mistakes there... Calculations aren''t that slow, and besides, the CPU speed goes up anyway.

(The first is 550% faster)
www.persistentrealities.com for Inline ASM for VB, VB Fibre, and other nice code samples in C++, PHP, ASP, etc.<br/>Play Yet Another Laser Game!<br/>
Write a program which calculates the sum of all the prime numbers from 2 to an inputted number, and displays the time taken. You do it in VB, I''ll do it in c++. Then we''ll see exactly what the difference is.
It''s only a fair contest if you use the exact same algorithm and equivalent operators/functions. That way, you''re testing the language ''s speed and noth each other''s.
I need prime numbers in all my games... right.

You try to design a complete C++ program with a database backend.

I said before, writing a complete game in VB will take much less time, but will be a bit slower than C++.
Oluseyi: Sieve of Eratosthenes (sp?) - a fairly obvious technique to use, IMO.

ajoling: The issue here is not the prime numbers - it''s the intensive calculations. Like I said, anything calculation intensive would be better written in c++ and linked in. I did not say anything about writing a huge program in c++. Please read my posts more carefully in the future...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement