Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sephiras

Height Maps?

Hi, I just downloaded the Landscape studio and was wondering if there is anyway to use a height map to generate the terrain rather then doing it randomly? Edited by - Sephiras on July 2, 2001 3:05:00 AM

Yes, but lets say I license it, is there a better way to do this rather then just edit the existing file there?

Also is there a tool(when licensed) or at least documentation on how to create your own pros so you may add a custom sky, water, etc...

I would imagine that the .pro is like Q3's shader list, so I probably could change the actual textures, but again, I'd rather be able to do it from scratch rather then just edit.

Also with the terrain.tga I noticed its all just one large texture. When generating the terrain I was under the impression it was just 3(or more) textures tiling over the terrain at different heights and blended together. Not outputed to one massive texture; doesn't this hog a lot of memory by doing this?

Edited by - Sephiras on July 2, 2001 2:34:01 PM

There are lots of heightfield editing programs that you could use. You can use a random generator or paint it by hand and use image processing to smooth it out (like I did with the world1 example).

Once you have it in the editor you can also drag groups of vertices around but obviously that''s for fine tuning only.

To change the sky and water, just change the textures that are in the directory. You can replace each side of the sky cube with your own texture set. You can also load the .PRO files into the PRO Edit utility to change materials and texture properties.

To actually make the geometry you''ll need a professional modeling tool that can export to the .3ds format. With this you could make your own sky, use a sphere instead of a cube, have other objects in the sky (moon, sun, etc).

The terrain is one big texture because I don''t want to draw multiple passes when I have 70,000 or more triangles for the terrain. It allows me to draw the dynamic shadows directly on the terrain texture which other engines do not have. As well I can alter the terrain texture in the game (ie blast marks) and they will remain there, unlike using decal objects in other engines that disappear after a period of time. It uses a lot of memory but has lots of advantages over a multipass technique.

The world should be much larger than the visible area, so all that texture data won''t need to be in the 3D card at once. It is split up into 128x128 pieces interally and DX8 handles the paging.

What I meant with a height map was I rather be able to go into "Generate Terrain" and choose my own map rather then go into "Generate Terrain" wait 5 minutes(I have a slow comp) for it to generate then copy and paste my file over top of the one it just created.

Also, I am trying the water effects,like amplitude, etc... I can't seem to get it to do anything, can anyone suggest some numbers that would get it to work(so I at least have a base of what the numbers do)

Also, is there any plans for terrain geometry LoD? Like the farther away it is it will scale it geometry down so you are able to have a larger visability range? (I'm not a programmer, so this may be common in which case, a dumb question)

And when choosing to have shadows on generate terrain there seems to be a weird thing going on where it will make the shadows, but also small specks on the texture everywhere. I'm not sure if this is trying to simulate anything(and I checked the terrain there aren't little divits where the would be making the specks) I turn down random noise, however the specks are there, only darker and in certain locations while not in others. I'd really only would like the major shadows coming from hills, mountains, objects, etc... rather then little specks everywhere covering up the texture.

Edited by - Sephiras on July 2, 2001 10:17:12 PM

Edited by - Sephiras on July 2, 2001 11:26:04 PM

Guest Anonymous Poster
Yes, but lets say I license it, is there a better way to do this rather then just edit the existing file there?
>No

Also is there a tool(when licensed) or at least documentation on how to create your own pros so you may add a custom sky, water, etc...
>Use 3DSMax4, save your file, load it into ProEdit and save as a .pro

I would imagine that the .pro is like Q3''s shader list, so I probably could change the actual textures, but again, I''d rather be able to do it from scratch rather then just edit.
>Get 3DSMax 4 and create a sky cube

Also with the terrain.tga I noticed its all just one large texture. When generating the terrain I was under the impression it was just 3(or more) textures tiling over the terrain at different heights and blended together. Not outputed to one massive texture; doesn''t this hog a lot of memory by doing this?
>Not really, no.

You have never worked with a Game Engine I guess, read the documentation.
The heavens will open when you come to the compiling part.

I already had my questions answered, and a hell of a lot nicer then this.

No, I haven't worked in a game engine like this one before, did I ever say I did? And so what if I didn't? Is there something wrong with asking too many questions? I couldn't find the documentation until someone, once again a lot nicer then you, pointed me to it in which case I read, I tried, and asked more questions based on that.

Don't be so fucking rude, that just annoys me, have some courtesy next time.

Edited by - Sephiras on July 6, 2001 8:34:35 PM