Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DrKiRR

PL3D 0.3.0 bugs (???)

Hi everyone. I''ve been building an app (WinMe, VC++ 6.0) using PL3D 0.3.0 and noticed several strange er... features. Namely: 1. Debug version of my app + debug static pl3d = OK. Release version of my app + release static pl3d = hangs when trying to quit (via ESC/Alt+F4). Had to trap QUIT event and call exit () (( Release version of my app + debug static pl3d = OK 2. Seems unable to switch color depth (resolution only). My app tries to open 32 bpp window (guess bpp is ignored in window mode). When my desktop color depth = 16bpp, switching to full screen (via F12) still gives 16bpp full screen mode. When desktop depth is 32bpp all is ok. I don''t blame anyone, and please, don''t kick me too hard if i''m wrong after all (i don''t claim to have the ultimate knowledge, you know ) Regards, Alexei KiREEV aka Dr. KiRR My stuff is at http://www.geocities.com/drkirr

Hard to tell. Make sure you set all teh fields in the window mode (bpp should work in winME). Be careful about depth & stencil stuff.

Generally I go for

bpp = 32
depth=24
stencil = 8

What video card do you have?

The crashes you experience could be anywhere - but there is a 50/50 chance it is in your code
Try doing it in pure debug mode with USE_MMGR defined (see the examples for how to use the memory manager). Also define STRESS_TEST in the project settings and see the two log files generated. This should help you track memory leaks and overwrites which cause crashes.

Hope this helps - BTW your sword gif stopped working again

~~~
Cheers!
Brett Porter
PortaLib3D : A portable 3D game/demo libary for OpenGL

Ok, Brett, sure will try it... (i mean, memory manager).
Although, i guess, when i use pl3d debug it (mmgr) works
anyway - as debug version of pl3d uses it. I always get
memleaks.log after a run of debug app+debug pl3d. Mmgr
says all ok now - and before i did delete some stuff
in destructor it was yelling on me (hence if does keep track
of my app memory, not just pl3d memory).
As for the sword gif - i donno what else to do with that geocities. I''ve had ALL kinds of problems with them - corrupted
uploads, links sometimes work, sometimes not.. Their tech
support told me they don''t know what causes the problem...

Another thing - tried mode switching on WinME (S3 video card -
software only OGL - Sheesh!). Doesn''t seem to work . Any hints?

Hi there,

I might try downloading the model and putting it on my site for you Actually I think you sent me a couple more a while back - I''ll post those too. Thanks for that!

Mode switching - I think I know what''s wrong If you start in window mode in 16bpp, then the structure adjusts itself to that and fullscreen will just toggle. You''ll find there is a warning in the create that says it could set the bpp in window mode so it is reverting to the other I think.
I don''t know which is the best solution to this - let me think about it.

Make sure you define USE_MMGR in your project settings and the STRESS_TEST one too. You might even want to rebuild PortaLib with STRESS_TEST defined so you get more debugging. It''s slower but it''ll make sure you don''t scrog any memory

~~~
Cheers!
Brett Porter

Well, waht do you know!
MMGR really does wonders after all! (especially when pl3d
is built with STRESS_TEST)
That turned out to be a bug in my understanding of pl3d -
i failed to notice that object - model relations use
COM-like reference counter and that deletion of the last
object AUTOMATICALLY deletes the model.
I''ve been simply deleting the model, then the object. Simple.
So, here''s the lesson, folks - try cleaning your code before
claiming it''s somebody other''s mistake, and, use STRESS_TEST!
Silly me...

That''s Paul Nettle''s memory manager from flipCode''s Ask Midnight - its an awesome piece of work.

That probably is my fault though - I should tell people when I make a major change to the way things work Do you agree with the strategy though?

I''m about to make a new post - "Volunteers (minimal work)" - can you please let me know if you''re able to help out? Thanks.

~~~
Cheers!
Brett Porter

About strategy - yes, i do agree that is good.
BTW, why not use

if (ptr)
{
delete ptr;
ptr = NULL;
}
else
throw new Exception ("Tried to delete a NULL pointer");

instead of just "delete ptr;"?

1) because it is a destructor, no need to set ptr = null
2) I''m very consistent with pointers - if they are null it is because they weren''t allocated. I use this to determine if it needs to be freed.

Hope that makes sense!

~~~
Cheers!
Brett Porter