Looking For An Animated Model (w/ Bones)

Started by
4 comments, last by Porthos 15 years ago
I want to test out my model code but I cannot find any models that are suitable for all purpose testing. I'm using AssImp for loading but then I use custom structures in my engine to render and animate the model. What I'm looking for is a Model (any format that AssImp can support) that has: - Bones - Many Bone Animation sets - Texture Skinning - One or more Meshes Thanks in advance.
------------Anything prior to 9am should be illegal.
Advertisement
The XNA website has some free animated models in it's resource section (the Marine and Dude models are the first two that come to mind). They are in .fbx but can be exported to other formats if need be.
Which exporter do you use? I tried exporting using MilkShape but the animations are lost when I export into 3DS or OBJ format.
------------Anything prior to 9am should be illegal.
UT (2003/2004/UT3 etc) characters have bones + theres 100s of models out there (Ive never found the model format info though, so if u do let me know)

doom3 is another but theres basically only the ingame models out there
I think I have some .ma (maya ascii) files around here somewhere with some school project garbage. I'm sure there is a converter somewhere out there to get them to a more general format like .obj or something.

They have the following:
- Bones with hierarchy, smooth skin
- Each vert has no more than 4 (i think) influence bones
- Each bone has the same number of frames at the same times

Again, this is if I can find them. I'll dig around if you think that will work.
Hi,

Assimp has some nice models in its repository (here).
x/dwarf.x, x/Wuson.x and especially md5/bob.md5 should be suitable for your purposes. Be sure to use the latest Assimp SVN version for best .. ehm ... loading experience :-)

If that's not enough for you, I can provide some animated MD5 and X files either collected from various sources on the internet or made by friends, all tested with Assimp but naturally not intended for public use.

Alex

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement