A Progling's Dilema

Started by
1 comment, last by JaceMurray 22 years, 9 months ago
Hello all, First off, I''d like to thank each of you for reading this message, as I know there are so many beginners out there, and some things need repeating a lot. I am proficient in C/C++, and have studied many files and FAQs, and the help files that came with Visual C++ and the DirectX SDK. A lot of the Articles I''ve found on the internet are outdated, and deal with Direct3D or DirectDraw, not with DirectGraphics. I would like to know if there is a Tutorial out there for DirectGraphics, and that is up to date. Now, for specific questions: I''ve had some success with a large amount of referencing to set up a program in Full screen mode in a resolution I decide, and can actually display one or two bitmaps. I''ve even done a bit of work with functions that alter the characteristics of the bitmap, or move it depending on whether the mouse button is pressed or not, or fading it in and out by using a simple for loop and the alpha blending property. I know a lot of this is beyond elementary, and certainly far from what I want to do at the moment, which is to make a simple game. How do you display more then one Bitmap, or do you need to create a surface for each bitmap? I''ve failed miserably when trying to make a font engine. I hope this hasn''t been too long, but if anyone could either reply to this or send me e-mail with information on DirectGraphics, and perhaps some tutorials with working source (in projects ala VCPP) I would much appriciate it. Thanks, Jace Murray
Jace Murray
Advertisement
G''day!

The Forum FAQ lists a few sources of D3D8 (DirectGraphics) tutorials. I think the best one that''s in the FAQ is www.drunkenhyena.com, but I''m kind of biased.

Another site that you should check out is nexe.gamedev.net. It''s not listed in the FAQ though it really should be. I think most of the sites listed in the FAQ aren''t updated very often. There is also a NeXe specific Forum on GameDev if you have questions about any of those tutorials. Besides, Sean (who runs NeXe) is lonely, he''ll appreciate the visit.

Stay Casual,

Ken
Drunken Hyena
Stay Casual,KenDrunken Hyena
Thanks, I''ll check both of them out. I just dissected one of the sample classes from the DirectGraphics samples, and it is mostly understandable. Except the handling of bitmap files involved in creating a Font engine.

Jace Murray
Jace Murray

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement