BOH, original retro-flavoured game released

Started by
28 comments, last by saimo 10 years ago
Hi all,

it's about time for another update, isn't it? ;)

update6 is now out and brings the following changes:
* makes the game run natively on AROS (requires an x86 CPU);
* optimizes and improves the field of vision calculation;
* optimizes and improves the lights casting;
* makes some explosive objects cause chain explosions;
* fixes a few minor bugs;
* adds a new mission;
* improves/extends the manuals;
* applies some other changes.

The update can be downloaded for free from the DOWNLOADS page of the official website.
The demos have been updated to reflect the changes.

[Edited by - saimo on October 12, 2009 4:37:38 AM]
Advertisement
Hi everybody,

just a quick note for those who, besides developing, like playing: a free contest revolving around BOH is going on right now - full details here.

(Many thanks to jbadams for allowing me to post this.)
Hello fellow developers,

quite simply, let me inform you that today BOH becomes even richer thanks to the update which has just been released.

More specifically, update7:
* adds one-way passages;
* adds flying enemies;
* changes the functioning of teleports: weapons are not inhibited anymore; enemies are not scared away anymore; the activation wait is shorter; enemies are destroyed if they touch the character during teleporting;
* improves the visual feedback of hits in theme "vectors";
* increases the intensity of shot lights;
* fixes some minor glitches in the themes "C64", "default" and "vectors";
* adds the mission "skill challenge";
* retouches several missions (also making use of one-way passages);
* adds the Norwegian translation;
* re-assigns some map characters for an even more logical arrangement and, therefore, an easier development of missions;
* adds graying-out of the menu interface when another application gets the focus;
* extends/improves the manuals;
* applies some other changes/optimizations.

The update can be downloaded for free from the DOWNLOADS page of the official website.

As usual, enjoy! ;)
Hello,

I've hopped into my Santa Claus costume to bring news about what most likely is the last update of the year: update8 is available right now.
It is a minor service release that:
* fixes the handling of sparks colors (did not take into account the platform pixel format, so on some machines colors could look wrong);
* fixes the disappearance of enemies when hit (happened only in the MacOS version, due to a missing assignment);
* fixes a few errors in the Spanish translation;
* makes some minor changes to the user's manual.

[Edited by - saimo on December 7, 2009 11:14:11 AM]
Ho ho ho! saimo Claus is back with more gifts!

Just a week has passed since the offer The Christmas BOH Under The Tree presented in the previous post begun. Well, given the requests received from less lucky countries, given the way sales have increased and given the fact that the publisher and I want more and more customers to be able to enjoy the full, physical product, the offer has been pushed even further: the price of the boxed version of BOH has been set to exactly that of the digital version - a shockingly low EUR 7.50*! - and who bought the digital version is given the possibility of receiving the physical package at home by paying just the postal expenses*!

I really hope this will give more people a chance to have fun with BOH :)

*VAT excluded

[Edited by - saimo on December 14, 2009 7:34:53 AM]
Dear developer friends,

to celebrate the end of the year that has seen the birth of BOH, the collection of expansions grows with a brand-new, claustrophobically oppressive theme: "underground".
The theme can be downloaded for free from the DOWNLOADS page of the official website.

This is also a good occasion to present the Instant Reward Initiative: graphic artists have the chance to get a free copy of BOH! For details and to take part to the initiative, please surf to the official thread on Mod DB.

Happy New Year!

[Edited by - saimo on January 26, 2010 9:59:45 AM]
Hi all!

Could 2010 be devoid of surprises for BOH players? Of course no ;)

Today sees the release of update9, which:
* adds secret missions, i.e. missions that remain hidden until one or more other missions are completed;
* reworks hidden passages so that they follow the orientation of barriers and are / can be perfectly unified with them;
* re-adds trembling to fixed lights;
* improves video modes suggestions by indicating also the optimal zoom factors;
* forces recalculation of global time also when 0:00;
* retouches themes;
* improves missions "getting started" and "unequal alternatives";
* fixes mission "watch your step!" (it had been left in a test/altered state);
* fixes pits near barriers (in some cases they may have looked weird);
* adds two new missions;
* adds the latest expansions;
* updates the manuals;
* applies various other changes.

Please also note that, on this occasion, all the other update packages have been reworked: besides better installers/updaters, they now include also all the expansions, so that it is no longer necessary to install the latter manually.
Hi all,

a long time has passed since the last message, but, in the meanwhile, I released 6 more updates which enriched the game even further. Now, since the latest update - the 15th, released on BOH's 3rd birthday - is also the final one, I thought I'd better let you know wink.png

screenshot-C64-7N.png

Instead of reporting here the list of changes of all the updates, I guess it's better if I give the final features list (which I reported also in the initial post of this thread):
* immersive & thrilling gameplay;
* 44 missions + 11 secret missions to unlock;
* missions divided in 5 levels of difficulty;
* multi-phase missions;
* multi-floor battlefields of any size/shape;
* mind-blowing puzzles and deadly traps;
* many and varied power-ups;
* several different kinds of enemies;
* hand-pixelled 2D graphics;
* real-time field of vision and lighting;
* atmospheric audio and rich soundtrack;
* 7 themes;
* online world standings;
* possibility of creating missions and themes;
* Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Spanish and Swedish translations.

The updates can be downloaded for free from the DOWNLOADS page of the official website at www.bohthegame.com.
Hi all,

I'd like to let you know that, thanks to the warm and positive feedback received, today I have released the BOH soundtrack, in a deluxe package prepared with the same meticulous care that characterizes BOH throughout.

cdmockups.png

The package contains:

• 18 tracks (6 menu tunes, 6 failure jingles and 6 success jingles, for a total of over 11 minutes) in CD quality;
  • a print-quality, jewel case-format, 8-page booklet which accompanies the reader on an aural journey through the mazes of BOH;
  • a print-quality, jewel case-format, double-sided inlay;
  • a color serigraphy for high-quality CD stickers and pressed CD labels;
  • a black-and-white serigraphy for LightScribe labels.

Everybody can download the soundtrack for free from http://www.bohthegam...downloads.html.

[size=2](Note: the picture is only a mockup of how a real CD would look like.)

Hi everybody,

yesterday it was the 5th anniversary of BOH and I could not find a better way to celebrate the event than releasing a brand-new edition that majestically closes the incredible evolution the game underwent since its original release.

BkZp1WmCEAASqM5.png

The 5th Anniversary Edition:
* includes all the updates released previously;
* reworks the video modes handling (full screen by default; window on 16-bit screens allowed; more robust; etc.);
* adds the CRT and LCD pixel modes;
* adds the 5x zoom;
* adds 5 new missions, bringing the total to a massive 60;
* assigns the pause to the [ESCAPE] key (instead of a specific key), which thus no longer causes the immediate abort of the current mission;
* reworks the menu controls (more keys; do not depend anymore on the in-game controls configuration);
* adds the emergency configuration reset (assigned to the key [F12]);
* adds the screenshot functionality (assigned to the key [F1]);
* makes quitting by means of [ALT]+[F4] available on all platforms;
* sets the default URL for records submission to http://www.retream.com/BOH (it is no longer necessary to specify such URL manually in the configuration file);
* replaces the copy code with an email address for the records submission;
* updates the manuals;
* applies many other optimizations/changes/fixes, for more performance, polish and robustness.

It comes on a new CD image that contains:
* the AmigaOS, AROS, Linux, MacOS and Windows versions;
* universal installers that can install the game from scratch or update any previous version;
* the soundtrack (CD-quality audio files and print-quality jewel case materials).

It is now available also from IndieGameStand*, besides Desura*, Gameolith* and, of course, the official website.
Users can download it for free from http://www.retream.com/BOH/download.php?ID=code (where "code" is the personal copy code).

*Please note that it might take a few days before the updated version appears on these shops.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/bohthegame
Twitter: http://twitter.com/bohthegame
Desura: http://www.desura.com/games/boh
IndieGameStand: http://indiegamestand.com/store/870/boh
Gameolith: http://www.gameolith.com/game/boh/
GameStop: http://www.impulsedriven.com/boh

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement