Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Last Attacker

A few questions.

Hi, since Myopic Rhino is offering a moderator-job, I guess someone might answer a few of my questions to C++. 1. What is the function of the "*" in Char * str; ? 2. What does a pointer and a reference operator do (I think it might be "*" and "&")? 3. Do you access assebler code through "___asm{"? 4. Is the "?" a shorter "else" in an if-statement? Well I'm sorry I asked so much questions, I'm kinda new to C++ and I wanted to now those basic stuff. By the way, (if you're feeling up to that) what whould be the best way to write a Window-styled C++ app. (with VC++)? MFC or plain Win32 projects? Well thanks at least for reading! ----------=Last Attacker=---------- ICQ: 120585863 E-mail: laextr@icqmail.com Edited by - last attacker on July 2, 2001 5:36:53 PM

So many questions!
Let's see...

"1. What is the function of the "*" in Char * str; ?"
In this context, the '*' means that the variable you are declaring will be a pointer, as opposed to an actual character. The pointer will store the address of a block of memory, and that block of memory will contain a bunch of char's.

"2. What does a pointer and a reference operator do (I think it might be "*" and "&")?"
In simplistic terms, the pointer operator '*' will give you the value of what a pointer points to, as opposed to the pointer itself. The reference operator will give you the address of a variable. Perhaps some code would demonstrate this better..

int n = 500;
int* i; // i is a pointer to an integer

i = &n; // now i points to the address of n

cout << i << endl; // this will output the memory address stored in i

cout << *i << endl; // this will output the value stored in the address that i holds

"3. Do you access assebler code through "___asm{" ?"
Yes. That's one way. You can also write your ASM separately and link to it.

"4.Is the "?" a shorter "else" in an if-statement?"
Not exactly.

if(a < b)
do_stuff();
else
do_other_stuff();

is equivalent to:

a < b ? do_stuff() : do_other_stuff();

It's generally not a good idea to use the '?' operator, as it can lead to unreadable code.

"5. How do you use macro's?"
You define a macro with the #define keyword, like so:

#define MyMacro(x) ((x * 2 + 5) << 1))

int i = MyMacro(3);

I hope all that was somewhat understandable and somewhat helpful

~~~~~~~~~~
Martee

Edited by - Martee on July 2, 2001 5:58:52 PM