Problem with ddraw.lib of DX 8

Started by
4 comments, last by ROMERO 22 years, 9 months ago
I got the DirectX 8 sdk and then I tried to build an application that should work well with DX 7 and received this link error: C:\dxsdk8\lib\ddraw.lib : fatal error LNK1106: invalid file or disk full: cannot seek to 0x389bc793 Well, my disk isn''t full. I looked at the ddraw.lib file of DX sdk 6.1 and it''s size is 25 Kb, and the ddraw.lib file of DX sdk 8 is only 5 Kb. I listen that in DX 8 the DirectDraw was mixed with Direct 3D, maybe there are differents settings to build an aplication now? Any comments are welcome. Thanks.
Advertisement
Microsoft didn''t integrate DirectDraw into DirectX8, they are just suggesting programmers should use 3D hardware for 2D games instead of DirectDraw so they can use and develop DDraw specifically for DirectShow. DirectDraw7 still exists in DX8, and so does all the DDraw .lib and .h files, though I''m not certain about the size (5KB). The file may have been corrupted some how, run scandisk and virus scan your HDD, otherwise you may have a corrupted DX8 setup package. Also try to compile one of the DDraw sample apps in the SDK and see if that works.

As for the link settings, nothing has changed, you should still be able to compile a DX7 app under the DX8 SDK ok.

Give me your email address and i''ll send the Lib file to you if you like..

Game Download  ZeroOne Realm

Downloads:  ZeroOne Realm

Actually going off your link error "cannot seek to 0x389bc793" is sounds like your HardDisk had bad sectors, run a scandisk surface scan on the HDD, you may need to replace it.

I had this problem for a while and it has nothing to do with the disk being full.

The problem is Microsoft changed the way the linker works making later .lib files compatible with some versions of their linker. ie the one that comes with VC++ 5.

To solve the problem, either upgrade VC++ to version 6, get the service pack for VC 5 from Ms''s website (I know SP3 fixes the problem), or I think you can get the linker in the platform SDK.

===========================
The price of intelligence is stupidity
===========================There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.( My views in no way reflect the views of my employer. )
Thanks for your suggestions,

To SikCiv, I''m not at home now, when I come back home I''ll try to run scandisk on the file and I''ll be glad if you send me the lib file, my email is maromero@zaz.com.br.

To Gav, I''m using VC++ 5, and I don''t have conditions to upgrade to VC++ 6. Then I''ll search for the service pack for VC 5.

To everyone, the version of DX sdk that I''m current using is 6.1, and now I need the DX sdk 7 to use with CDX (a game library), but I couldn''t find it. The dx sdk 8 I got from a magazine. So, if anyone has the dx sdk 7, I would be very glad if you send to my email only the necessary files (the include and lib folders, it is for personal use).

Thanks.
Ill send the files you need today (Sydney time), as for the DX7 SDK, you dont need it because everything except for the DX7 sample apps are in the DX8 SDK, as well as various fixes to DX7 Interfaces.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement