models animation

Started by
3 comments, last by nikopol 22 years, 9 months ago
Does anybody know the best way to animate a character that I imported in my openGL application ?
Advertisement
yes, to answer your question. but is that the answer you wanted?
look on Flipcode.com for a tutorial on skeletal animation.

HHSDrum@yahoo.com
Polarisoft Home Page
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
Or, you could use models that other games used (Quake 2 and 3 mostly) which have animations ''built'' into them.

------------------------------
Trent (ShiningKnight)
E-mail me
OpenGL Game Programming Tutorials
Well, im pretty much a ogl newbie but i got a follow-up question. I believe I have read that
skeletal animation is pretty cpu intensive, but i cannot confirm this. Is this true? In other words,
which would be the simpler solution, for someone like a newbie getting into models, to implement?

I have the new gdnet book: opengl game programming and know a md2 loader is included, i just
havnt read the chapter and havnt noticed if it includes info on animating the different frames of
the quake2 model.

(im sure nikopol wanted a lil more informative answer then yes)

Visit my Webpage and Project: LoreQuest
Animation between the different frames of a .md2 model is quite simple. In this format, every frame is stored with all the vertices, now you can just interpolate between the vertices.

FinalVertex = Frame1.Vertex + Delta * (Frame2.Vertex - Frame1.Vertex) 

Where Delta is a value between 0.0 and 1.0 . As to skeletal animation being pretty cpu intensive, yeah, it is, but not too intensive on nowaydays CPU''s. You even have the opportunity to let these run in hardware on next generation graphics accelerators (GeForce3, etc.) using vertex shaders. The simpler solution to implement is definitely the keyframe-solution, you don''t have to worry about all that quaternion stuff, the data organization, etc. so better try this one.

CU
Graphix Coding @Skullpture Entertainmenthttp://www.skullpture.de

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement