c++ dieing for game programming?

Started by
49 comments, last by jpetrie 15 years ago
Wow a lot of responses fast! Well ok good I was hoping she was wrong as I have always been fascinated in c++ and I heard of thew new c++ they are developing as well or well I mean developing it more.

Thanks for the responses I will stick with c++ then :).
Advertisement
C++ will not be leaving the spotlight for some time for commercial PC game development. But that doesn't matter at all. If you are comfortable using C++ and are getting results you like, keep using it. If you are not, learn something else.

You are not currently an industry professional, so there is no reason for you to be using something just because the industry professionals do. It doesn't even necessarily provide you a stunning benefit to breaking into the industry; a skilled programmer who knows multiple languages and can learn more may be preferable than a programmer who knows just C++, even if the former doesn't.

Quote:
It is funny that so many teachers are completely out of touch with the industry.

I don't think it's funny at all -- it makes perfect sense. Most industry veterans make horrible teachers, just like most teachers don't know much about the industry.

Quote:
This gives C++ anywhere from a 3X to 10X speed advantage or even more in some cases.

Please don't peddle these kind of baseless, context-free "benchmarks" in this forum. They are misleading and dangerous; they don't help the audience for this forum. If you want to have a discussion about the merits or lack thereof of particular benchmarks of particular operations in particular languages, do so outside of the beginners forum.
You should learn both..
Stick with C++, try out some C# or Java.. and develop in whatever language you think is cool. I personally use C# the most, because of the development speed. But I do use C, when I want more control.

Also, developing native apps can be very frustrating, but also very personal rewarding.
I would say that if you can manage to wrestle with the intricacies of C++, picking up any other mainstream language would be a snap. You would mostly have to adjust to the best practices of each particular language.
Electronic Meteor - My experiences with XNA and game development
Quote:
Please don't peddle these kind of baseless, context-free "benchmarks" in this forum. They are misleading and dangerous; they don't help the audience for this forum. If you want to have a discussion about the merits or lack thereof of particular benchmarks of particular operations in particular languages, do so outside of the beginners forum.

I'm not "peddling" anything. I've tested it numerous times and these are typical numbers. Sorry if you don't like it. Give me a C# test and I'll code it in C++ and we will just see how fast C# really is. Secondly I'm not 100% sure how this forum works but I still see the thread it a regular programming forum which is where I'm posting. The fact is, C# is not native compiled and is burdened with its garbage collector. THAT IS WHY MOST PROGRAMMERS DON'T USE IT FOR PERFORMACE SENSITIVE CODE. I get the same angry tirades form C# fans all the time but it doesn't change the facts.
Quote:Original post by polypterus
Quote:

I'm not "peddling" anything. I've tested it numerous times and these are typical numbers. Sorry if you don't like it. Give me a C# test and I'll code it in C++ and we will just see how fast C# really is. Secondly I'm not 100% sure how this forum works but I still see the thread it a regular programming forum which is where I'm posting. The fact is, C# is not native compiled and is burdened with its garbage collector. THAT IS WHY MOST PROGRAMMERS DON'T USE IT FOR PERFORMACE SENSITIVE CODE. I get the same angry tirades form C# fans all the time but it doesn't change the facts.

I don't think his issue is you saying that C++ is faster, but that you're pulling numbers out of thin air with no evidence/samples to show the situations where this is the case. 87% of Gamedev users find made up statistics irksome...

OP: C++ isn't going anywhere for some time, but there's merit to C#/java too. I learnt to program with C++, but a lot of people say that higher level languages like C# are an easier on-ramp to programming. Certainly if your teacher is teaching you with these languages it's nothing to be worried about, the fundamentals of programming are fairly consistent across these languages.
Quote:Original post by polypterus
The fact is, C# is not native compiled and is burdened with its garbage collector. THAT IS WHY MOST PROGRAMMERS DON'T USE IT FOR PERFORMACE SENSITIVE CODE.
Yes, C# is native-compiled, and garbage collection can be managed for performance by a competent C# developer who knows how GC works.

If you want to get your feet wet with game development, start with something like C# so you can learn the fundamentals and focus on making games rather than fighting the language. You can move to C++ later if you like.
Quote:

Then present the research you did. Without context, benchmarks are useless. Pulling numbers out of your hat and saying "language X is Y times slower than language Z" is completely unhelpful to beginners: it's overgeneralized, inflammatory, and misleading. Post your benchmarks in the general programming forum, or elsewhere, and you can discuss them all you want. Not in this forum.

There should be no more posts about the performance or benchmarking issues below this one in this thread.

[EDIT: N.B. that I have removed some posts in accordance with the above.]

[Edited by - jpetrie on April 16, 2009 10:45:48 PM]
Quote:Original post by jpetrie
You are not currently an industry professional, so there is no reason for you to be using something just because the industry professionals do.

QFE.

Quote:
Most industry veterans make horrible teachers, just like most teachers don't know much about the industry.

Unfortunately, most teachers make horrible teachers. Teaching is hard.
While C# and java are great to learn, easier to get some simple graphics going and such, in the end they are a bit more on the business side of the market, rather than gaming. C++ is the standard when it comes to game development, and for its great performance I do not see it dieing any time soon.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement