• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Tutorial for learning through 'projects'?

This topic is 3233 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've learned a bit about C++ by taking a class so far, but my class is just about over and I want to learn more but we mostly learn by being taught the 'logic' of something and then messing around with it and after we are given a small 'project' to do which should be a working program, and when we finish it we're done. Well the thing is I'd like to reinforce some of my already known knowledge (I'm up to structs at the moment) while also gaining some more knowledge along the way, but mostly in a 'Make a program that can do this: ' kind of way and haven't found any that teach in that sort of way yet, so does anyone know of any? I'm learning mostly C++ but I suppose as far as we've gone know it's mostly all in C as well.

Advertisement
Well i guess the only thing i can say that i would know of is this. You wont find a lot of tutorials just floating around that want to tell you the techy details they just tell you how to do this and or that witch is a shame because you don`t learn it right but there is a way around this. For instance Start yourself out with a Tetris clone tutorial probably use SDL Api would be good and in combination with MSDN.com you should be able to at least apply and then read more about what going on. The funny thing is you never stop having to find references to things because it all constantly changes but finding the reference just gets easier :)

But i guess that is my recommendation take a tutorial that is fully done like a game one and break it down to see how to works because that's a very useful skill all on its own.

Hope that helps in the least bit

Regards Jouei.

Actually that did help, I guess I'll just mess around with my books and build myself up to the point where I can deal with working on a Tetris clone.

Right now I have a decent game I have to work on (it's a robot game based on a grid) for class, so once I get that done I might be better equipped to handle a Tetris clone.

I had tried taking on gaming through the Game Maker and other such applications style previously but wasn't a big fan, mostly because my real passion in games are side scrollers/platformers, but I realize that that's going to be quite hard to make and will be way down the road, so I'll start off small when I can finish Tetris.

I found something that's 'close' to a guide like that here, says to start with Tetris, go to Breakout, and keep working your way up.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement