• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Direct3D - DirectWrite

This topic is 3235 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I plan to integate DirectWrite into my projects this weekend. Did somebody play around with DirectWrite already? What was your experience? Has performance improved compared to using ID3DXFont interface. Best Jochen

Advertisement
DirectWrite is not meant to replace ID3DXFont. In particular, I doubt the performance will be any better. DirectWrite is meant to "replace" GDI and GDI+ (if it's meant to "replace" anything), and as such, it supports advanced typography (such as Open-Type layout, kerning and so on, as well as all the stuff that Uniscribe does - context-sensitive substitution and so on). Therefore, it's quite likely that performance will be much worse than ID3DXFont, which is pretty basic in terms of the features it supports.

I've not tried it either (still on my very long todo list [headshake]) but from what I've seen and read I'd concur with Codeka's comments. The motivation for using DirectWrite is going to be quality and correctness rather than performance.

It's not until recent D2D/DW API's that the DXGI based interop has become a significantly interesting feature imo. I suspect that few people really know its performance profile properly [smile]

Cheers,
Jack

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement