• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
zacaj

OpenGL Occlusion culling with es

This topic is 3501 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm just finishing my first iPhone game, and while I do the final bug fixes I've been planning my next game. I was looking at the different spacial subdivision techniques, and a kD-tree seems like best choice. Since the powerVR in theniphone automatically sorts all the polygons I send it, I don't need to supply the polygons in a specific order, Which means the main use of and spacial subdivision technique would be culling occluded areas and objects. However, opengl es doesn't have occlusion queries to cull out sections of the tree, and you can't access the depth nuffernto donut manually. The only way I can think of to do occlusion queries at all, even just for objects, would be to render all of the enviornment into another buffer using the depth / position as a color and manually checking against that, but that doesn't seem very efficient, so how do you do occlusion queries in ES, and is it really worth it to bother doing occlusion queries at all on the few objects that would be in a scene?

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!