Beginners Book

Started by
9 comments, last by Zahlman 15 years ago
Hi there, I'm completely new to programming. Reading through a number of guides on how to go about becoming a game developer, the main advice seems to be "learn a language". I have decided to begin learning C++ but am not sure what book to get for it. I know I will end up needing many but I am really looking for something to gently ease me into it (I dont want to be put off by being thrown in too deep). So after my life story! lol. Basically I would like to know: What book should a true beginner buy to learn C++? Thanks!
Advertisement
Hello,

I started with C++ Primer Plus, 5th edition, and I think it gave a great intro to C++. It starts off slow, providing basic information about the language/compilers, then moves on to simple things like simple I/O, then moves through functions into more complex things like classes and polymorphism. Some of his examples are kind of boring, and it is a long book, but I still think that it was a great introduction to C++ (or at least it was for me).

It's not a book, but you could try reading some of these.

Good luck!
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." - Gandalf
There are a couple of free C++ books in the links at the bottom of my post.
http://www.deitel.com/books/cpphtp5/

I have an old, 1994 pre-standard version, and still find it awesome in certain aspects.

It has lots of tips about performance, but reminding you in every case what you must pay for it.

I like from it that it introduces OOP to a certain level from the second chapter, making you think about how to resolve problems in an OO language.

Would have been great to have it when I started...
I personally recommend Learning C++ Through Game Programming, 2nd. Edition. It doesn't do anything fancy when it comes to graphics (it's all console based), but it starts with simple IO and continues to OOP. Helpful for newcomers to C++.
I'm not a C++ dev but http://www.learncpp.com/ seems pretty good if you don't need a classic book. Can't beat the price and it's nice to have short discussion at the bottom of each page of questions that other people have brought up and answers.
"The general thanks you!" - Quote from a call I took at work.
The best step for a beginner is to not learn C++. There's better options out there for a first language. Furthermore, there's no need to learn C++ to make games. It's popularity as a choice for professional developers does not mean that you need to know it, and even more, that you need to start with it.

Read the other "what language" threads in this forum, and reconsider.
I don't want to bring this into a language flamewar, but I don't think that "the best is begin with anything different to C++" is a good advice. Each programmer is a whole world, and beginning with a low level language has advantages and inconveniences as everything. I started with asm for 80x86 and it gave me a strong knowledge of what's going on.

So, to the OP: if you only know C++, perhaps you should think about going to an easier language (python, C#, java). But if you know other languages and aren't interested, or just feel comfortable with C++, stick to it. Anyway, jumping from C++ to C# is relatively straightforward, while the opposite is a pain.
i would get either the idiots learn c++ or the sams 24 hrs / 21 days

i started on these back in 1999 and i found the humour great and the guff of each page just right. some of the books above have masses amounts of writing trying to explain concepts when all you want to do as a beginner is make something happen quick. You really dont need to be learning anything more right now than how to declare, set and manipulate a few variables and throw in a few conditional statements (adding choice, just like a game). When you have got to terms with the basics

variables
if statements
loops
switch statements
functions

start to look at

classes
pointers
references

Youtube and the net are your best bet right now, just looking at these forums can be a massive help. Start small though is my advice, everyone on here wants to be a game programmer its the people who understand that its no easy feat are the ones that stick with it and most often make it. You cant learn to program in 5 minutes, ive been doing it 10 years and there are things im asking on these boards which i know are ridiculous, the way i learn is by viewing different perspectives on a single problem. Anyway, welcome to the worlds most frustrating hobby/job
Related to that Sams 24 hours/21 days:
http://norvig.com/21-days.html

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement