• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

[solved] Returning a reference to a new object

This topic is 3230 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello all, I have a bit of dilemma in a little C++ project I'm working on. The code is a bit lengthy, so I'll try to simplify it. I have two classes -- let's call them "A" and "B" -- which I want to allow conversions between that don't require an intermediate variable, say:
somefunc(A.toB());

As opposed to:
B tmp; AtoB(AInstance, tmp); somefunc(tmp);

The obvious solution is to simply return an instance of the class I want to convert to, but because the conversion goes both ways, I have to return a reference since one of the classes has an incomplete type at the time of the method's declaration:
class B;

class A {
	/*ctor, dtor, etc.*/
	B& toB();
}

class B {
	/*ctor, dtor, etc.*/
	A& toA();
}

B& A::toB() {
	return B(*this); /*Overloaded constructor does the conversion*/
}

A& B::toA() {
	return A(*this);
}

But I keep getting told that it's an "invalid initialization of non-const reference." I've googled the error and found that it's apparently because that statement returns a temporary. The problem is that none of the articles or postings I found offered a solution that would work in my case. Oddly enough, the compiler doesn't complain about the following code I found on a site about operator overloading:
A& operator+=(const A& rhs) {
	/*add*/
	return *this;
}

A& operator+(const A& rhs) {
	return A(*this) += rhs;
}

I don't quite understand the difference there, aside from the const-ness of the argument. Maybe someone can enlighten me on the subject. I could possibly return a pointer instead, but I can't rely on "somefunc" to free the pointer, so I would have to use a smart pointer or some similar mechanism, which seems excessive and confusing for such a seemingly simple task. So, with all that said here's my main question: What's the best way to return a reference to a new object in C++? Should I just resign myself to using a smart pointer instead, or is there a clever trick I'm unaware of? (As a side note, I see the forum engine still doesn't like plus signs [wink]) [Edited by - Puck on April 17, 2009 7:54:14 PM]

Advertisement
You can declare a function that returns a type by value with only a forward declaration. Ex:

struct B;

struct A {
A(const B &) {}
B toB();
};

struct B {
B(const A &) {}
A toA();
};

B A::toB() {
return B(*this);
}

A B::toA() {
return A(*this);
}

*confusion*

Boy do I ever feel dumb. That was the first thing I tried, but the compiler kept pointing to the method declaration and saying "invalid use of an incomplete type!" I must have been doing something else wrong though.

Thanks for your quick reply, I appreciate it!

Quote:
Original post by Puck
A& operator+(const A& rhs) {
return A(*this) += rhs;
}

Returning a temporary by reference? This simply can't be right.

Quote:
Original post by Puck
Boy do I ever feel dumb. That was the first thing I tried, but the compiler kept pointing to the method declaration and saying "invalid use of an incomplete type!" I must have been doing something else wrong though.

Trying to define the function inside the struct maybe? :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement