• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
halo hex

hello i need some advice

This topic is 3325 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i am looking for a good compiler(i hope i said it right) that is good developing games with. i know C++ a good bit of C++(not a seasoned veteran though) but i dont wish to work with vista's visual C++ 2008 considering it isnt like Dev C++ in the sense i was taught with Dev C++. if Visual C++ 2008 is the best opinion in yall's opinion could you at least direct me to a good tutorial on visual C++ 2008: i have no idea what i am looking at here ^_^! thank you in adavance.

Advertisement
visual 2008 should be your choice. Thats what the pros use.

Google it, download it from Microsoft. It is to big, so you might need a CD to
download it to. Then use that CD to download it into your computer.

Quote:
but i dont wish to work with vista's visual C++ 2008 considering it isnt like Dev C++ in the sense i was taught with Dev C++.
You definitely need to ditch Dev-C++. The IDE is outdated and there are better alternatives. The compiler that ships with Dev-C++ is MingW, and if you really need to use that compiler, you can use CodeBlocks for an IDE.

But you should use VC++ Express or Visual Studio.

Quote:
if Visual C++ 2008 is the best opinion in yall's opinion could you at least direct me to a good tutorial on visual C++ 2008:
C++ doesn't change by compiler. Program the same with VC++ and you will be fine.

If you are having trouble with the IDE itself, a bit of exploration, trial and error, and Googling should be sufficient. You don't need to understand every part of the IDE when you start out. You just need to know the essentials. That means, creating a clean IDE project, typing up the code, compiling and running, and debugging.

Just a bit of Googling and I got MSDN's guide. Explore and look around a bit.

well i am so used to Dev and when i opened visual and tried to start programming i was well.....overwhelmed.....

but nevertheless thank you for your imputes: hopefully i can get the game off the ground without frying my motherboard ^_^

if you look for microsft visual studio c++ you can get the best compiler in the world for free. I think this is great as i had to pay for mine when i got into it . . not good . . but now good. its about 100mb but if you install it from the site it will configure everything for you, all you need to know is how to start a project which google has googles of tutorials on

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!