• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Sefiroth

getting started on old skool RPG

This topic is 3468 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

As a noob, let me introduce myself, I'm Stijn and in real life I'm already involved in game developement but from the artistic side. However I'm a 3D artist, I would like to create a good, old faschioned 2D top view RPG as a spare time, long term project. Ofcourse I will use my 3D skills for the creation of some parts for the game, but all 3D will be reduced to 2D anyway. So I dont need a very complex high end 3D game engine to create what I want. I looked on the internet and searched around to find out whats already available. Something like RPG maker VX is easy to work with, but it misses a few thing. So I would rather create my own program and engine that has the abilities to do what I want. I dont consider a language like C or C++ necessary for the develepment of it or am I mistaken? Are there software languages that are faster/easier to start with to create a 2D developing tool en engine? thanks, Stijn

Advertisement
Both python and C# are popular recommendations
for beginners to start with and covers your
needs in this case.

I've been looking around in Python for the last two days and I must admit that it looks like something useful for what I have in mind.
However, when looking for tutorials, they all go over the code, and tutorials for pygame handle the code for game related stuff. But one of the crucial items for me would be the tools that I want to develop to create the game world. And I'm not sure if Python is the right tool for that.
What that tools needs to be is an executable that works on its own where the world can be designed or adjusted, characters get there settings or can be added, and all the actions can be defined.
The tool should be the box that contain the buildingblocks. buildingblocks to define where there will be grass, where a house will come, where the door will be. The buildingsblocks will build up out of code ofcourse, but they should be easy to handle. And a far as I checked the last days few Python doe not feel like the language for it to create a visual environment to work in.

Maybe thats what C covers, but that not as easy to explore as Python.

I'll try to look into that the comming days.

Are there other languages that can help me in creating such a tool (some kind af game creating tool) , that has to be an exe on its own in the end. And when thats finished the construction of the game can begin.

probably a lot o mumbo jumbo, but hey its hard to explain for me what I want or what it needs to do (I know what i needs to do, but cant tell in a few lines) as I know nothing about code.

thanks anyway

I would like to create something like Tiled myself, only it needs to be more advanced, but what do I need to use if I want to create such a thing from scratch?

You could use Python (or c++, or C# or whatever really). It doesn't really sound like you want to do programming though but it's not clear. Are you looking for recomendations of languages to program a game and tools from scratch or just a tool to make a game with that may or may not allow you to customize it a bit?

If you want to easily create a 2D game, use the free version of Game Maker 7.0. It's way better than something like RPG maker and its actually fun to use.

The version you have to buy (only $30) it gives you a few extra effects like 3D games a what not.

Quote:
Original post by kyle10590
If you want to easily create a 2D game, use the free version of Game Maker 7.0. It's way better than something like RPG maker and its actually fun to use.

The version you have to buy (only $30) it gives you a few extra effects like 3D games a what not.

I second this, especially if you are very new to game development. I used Game Maker for a couple of years before I started programming and learned quite a few concepts which carried over into game programming (separation of logic and drawing, syntax [Game Maker's optional scripting language follows a similar syntax to C++/Java], scrolling, and a bunch of game-specific concepts).

thanks for the replies guys.

Yazilliclick: I want to do programming and is required ofcourse, but I need a tool to put everything together. And I dont want to use an existing one as they all have downsides. But I want to create a tool like RPG maker, only with my needs ofcourse. So I will have to program some kind of engine, create code for how the 2D animations need to be displayed and all that stuff. Just want to create an easy to use tool so its can be more visualy instead of lines and lines of code.
SO to answer you question, I'm looking for a language to create a tool to eventually create the game. THe tools must have full customisation abilities for the game, as I want to build it from scratch with it and maybe other people will have to use it to help in the development of the game.

I'm mot looking for any easy way out or something half solution, I want to do it right. It will take a few years to get it finished, but thats part of the challenge ofcourse...

Quote:
Original post by Sefiroth
but what do I need to use if I want to create such a thing from scratch?

unfortunately the only real answer to any such question is the tautological reply: you need to figure then learn what you need to use if you want to create such a thing from scratch.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!