• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
hardcoded1337

[java] Starting with mobile device game development

This topic is 3496 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello there! Could you tell me what exactly do I need to start developing games for mobile devices? I know that it's something around java micro edition, but there is tons of tools available by Sun and same for mobile phone operators. To be more specific I have in plan to start programming games for Nokia 5220 (java MIDP 2.1) and LG kf750(java MIDP 2.0), the question is do I need to learn both SDKs or there is some "universal" one, which would be very cool to have less hassle - I hope I'm not too optimistic about that because I've heard java's motto is something like "create once, run everywhere", so spending time on multiple SDKs is really last thing I want to be involved with. br

Advertisement
Both the SDKs are pretty much the same they are just the Sun wireless toolkit repackaged to include emulators for the Nokia and LG devices.
However in the mobile phone domain "create once run anywhere" doesn't exist. You will have to tweek apps for all different sizes of screen and controls but, this is something to worry about further down the line after you've got to grips with developing apps.

Just download the sun wireless toolkit and if you want to use an ide get hold of eclipse and the eclipseME plugin.

Once you get used to building and running apps then you can investigate setting up a custum ANT build setup so that you can build against multiple SDKs.

In my experience I'd stick with MIDP 2.0 as not that many devices support 2.1. This was a few months ago and things could have changed since then.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!