• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Chasteleth

First Demo Reel - Looking for Feedback

This topic is 3395 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So I had enough stuff for me to make a demo reel; and here it is: Demo Reel Please post your comments and let me know of any improvements that could be made. I do feel that the music seems quite amateurish but I'm hoping this will change with more practice. Also, I tried to keep a balance between the upbeat/action and slower ambient tracks but I fear this may have made the demo reel a bit too long (its just over 5 minutes). Any feedback is welcome. Cheers, Chaz.

Advertisement
been listening to quite a few demos from pros and amateurs to get in perspective, yours is pretty much ok-and i say it like this, not to discourge you, i listened to it briefly and what captured me the most is in about 3:49 which sounded like you can really make music there, it had what it takes-and i think all your stuff should have the same mass, even though they all show control in composing and creating atmosphere...well maybe i yam too much, thats about what i wanted to say. good luck to you

Hey Chaz,

You have some nice variety! There is some good writing here. I would cross fade a bit instead of going to silence each time. Silence breaks up the flow too much. A bit of crossing over is fine.

What I really liked about your demo is the variety in instrumentation as well as emotion. You have pieces that just groove, others that give off a sincere emotion and others that are driving and intense.

A few times I felt the samples could be better, but that's a constant battle. :) We all want better samples it's just a matter of CPU power and budget. Some of the pieces felt a bit too short. Like you could expand on them a bit more and give the listener a bit more to chew on.

Why are you using BOX? Instead you need to make a website unique to you. This will help you make a strong impression with clients. BOX (and other services like it) are fine for supplemental support but they shouldn't be your only website.

I really like your music and the touch you put on it.

Thanks for sharing!

Nathan

Nathan,

Thanks for your comments, I understand your point about cross-fading and I'll have to change it sometime as well as extend some the pieces in length.

Indeed there is the matter of cpu power and budget, I have just started out doing this so I don't have much software available to me. This is also the reason I haven't got my own personal website yet; I have been unsure if I am actually at the stage where I would require one, I'll definitely look into it now though.

Well for your first venture into this, I can definitely see both talent and potential here! Keep it up! (If you're a student or teacher, check out the academic versions of software out there. Can save you some $$$!)

Thanks,

Nate

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!