• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Noob Requires Advice

This topic is 3319 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Greetings: I've been a professional developer now for 8 years. I started in VB.Net and recently switched to C# (totally love C#). I work in VS 2008 and I've written several accounting programs that track funds for a University. I'm still mystified that I get paid to do that, btw. I have no trouble whipping together a class that represents a client, or a charge, or a payment - typical accounting stuff. I was thinking about classes, encapsulation, object oriented programming and all that nonsense and I began to wonder what a small golden idol buried in the sand would look like as an object. I began to wonder what a monster would look like, and what an attack object would look like, and what would happen when an OnSlayed event was fired. I really love isometric games(1) and I'd like to learn to write one in C#. While I'm familar with how to approach many other programming tasks this particular task leaves me with no ideas. An isometric game engine is not something I get many requests for these days. I'd like to jump in and learn game development. I think I'll be using DirectX and C#. (Advise away, if you please). I've read the threads on langauge selection - I don't see myself as a professional game developer so C# will serve me just fine. (Game development is tough stuff and it should sharpen up my C# skills) Does anyone have any good absolutely beginner books (or resources) they'd recommend? I'd love to find a tutorial on building an isometric game engine or a really good book on DirectX game development. I poked around at Amazon.com but some of the books are for DirectX 7.0 and DirectX 8.0 and I don't know if those would be good choices or not. So, what I'd like: 1: Advice about DirectX versions (would a book using 7.0 help me?) 2: Advice or recommendations for tutorials and books and resources. 3: Any other advice welcome. ----------------------------------------------- NOTES: 1: Yeah, another fanboi who was in UO in '98.

Advertisement
Well, if you already know C# and are planning to use that, I would look into XNA, it is Microsoft's game building tool for use with C#. I haven't personally used it yet(just started teaching myself C# yesterday), but I have heard a lot of great things about it. Also XNA allows you to run your games on the Xbox if you so wish.

Beyond that, my advice would be to start off simple. Don't worry about making an Isometric game just yet, but start off with something very simple like tetris just to get a feel for game development. Check out this article for some more guidance. You will have an advantage and move quickly since you are already a fluent programmer.

Good luck!

Quote:
Original post by Chadwell
Well, if you already know C# and are planning to use that, I would look into XNA, it is Microsoft's game building tool for use with C#. I haven't personally used it yet(just started teaching myself C# yesterday), but I have heard a lot of great things about it. Also XNA allows you to run your games on the Xbox if you so wish.

Beyond that, my advice would be to start off simple. Don't worry about making an Isometric game just yet, but start off with something very simple like tetris just to get a feel for game development. Check out this article for some more guidance. You will have an advantage and move quickly since you are already a fluent programmer.

Good luck!

I read the article, it was excellent!

I'll be working with my 13yr. old daughter (I'm teaching her C#) so that guide is an excellent way to focus our efforts. Any ways, that is JUST THE SORT of thing I love, that is, a list of tiny goals to meet in order to get the bigger job done.

It is almost like a really good RPG in and of itself. =0)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!