• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Just Getting Started

This topic is 3233 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everybody, I'm new to GameDev (it's awesome so far though) and I'm going to try to get into game programming. I already know that I'm going to learn C++ and a graphics library (not sure which one yet.) I already know Java, so I don't think that learning C++ will be a huge challenge. So what I really need to know is: 1. What graphics library should I use, and how should I go about learning how to use it? 2. What so I need to know about programming games, other than knowledge of my language's components? For example, is there a specific structure for games? 3. Is there anything else that I need to take into consideration? Thanks in advance for the help! Oh, and I've decided that my first project will be a Tetris knock-off.

Advertisement
SDL and SFML are decent 2D libraries for C++ programmers who are getting started. You can move onto 3D later.

Nobody can tell you all the problems you may run into. Generally you recognise them once you come to them. Often the best bet is to find some tutorials and follow them through, until you're comfortable with the system and able to write your own game in the same style.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement