• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Indoor Rendering on modern GPU

This topic is 3230 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi everybody, on a modern GPU (that can rander big chunks of geometry really fast) what is in your opinion the best way to perform cull in a indoor scene? I personally use a pipeline that performs 3 step of culling: 1. variant y Quad Tree cull (with a mesh tree, I don't split poly ^_^ ) 2. frustum cull 3. occlusion cull But I'm wondering what's the "state of the art" for indoor scene.Could "portals" really improve the speed on a modern GPU? Anceschi Mauro www.narcoticgames.com

Advertisement
Portals sure could, it depends on how heavy your pixel shader is (like especially if your using super parallax mapping), if you need to stop
overdraw bad, portals can still be useful.

But on the other hand, if your geometry is z ordered, then maybe you wouldnt need portals because if you draw the front of the zbuffer first it wouldnt get to the pixel shader stage because the zbuffer already culled the pixel?

Quote:
Original post by rouncED
Portals sure could, it depends on how heavy your pixel shader is (like especially if your using super parallax mapping), if you need to stop
overdraw bad, portals can still be useful.

But on the other hand, if your geometry is z ordered, then maybe you wouldnt need portals because if you draw the front of the zbuffer first it wouldnt get to the pixel shader stage because the zbuffer already culled the pixel?

Sorry, I forgot to specify that:

a) I don't use by now very heavy PS
b) The Scenes are dense of geometry (and maybe It's not so easy to place portals)

so I'd like to perform very efficent culling (on the CPU) before Z-buffer & GPU processing.

[Edited by - mauro78 on April 19, 2009 3:00:13 AM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement