RTS ground texturing

Started by
2 comments, last by goal2004 15 years ago
Hi! First post here. I hope this is the right place to post this, and not specifically OpenGL since its the API I'll be using. I'm working on a project where we'll have height-mapped terrain, with a fairly long view distance (something like World in Conflict maybe but on a little bit smaller scale). So the idea we has was multi-texture the ground with these levels: 1. Base texture - low tiling 2. Detail texture - medium tiling 3. Full detail - ? Now it's a question mark because I'm not sure how we should proceed from there. I want to avoid tiling as much as possible for this. That level will be dedicated to draw out paths and certain pieces of land that aren't gonna be the same as the medium tiled one. A big chunk of the full detail one will probably remain transparent so that the actual ground is shown. Tiling is probably the easy way out, but it'll end up being dependent on the polygonal detail of the terrain. Something that can mess up when I'll implement a polygonal optimization for distant terrain geometry. Obviously we can break it down to smaller pieces of high detail textures and only load them when they're near the view, but with a project of the scale that we have and the amount of time given that option is far too risky. I was told there's a possibility of using decals, and I'm not really sure how that works. Can anyone point me in the right direction for what I should do? Thanks a lot, any help would be much appreciated. Jonny Lerner.
Advertisement
I hope this isn't frowned upon, but I really need to make sure this doesn't fall out of the first page before I get any responses, so.... BUMP!
It's a bit of a heavy read, (unsure of your technical background) but consider giving this a look. Slide 36+ is all about the terrain in Battlefield: Bad Company. I remember there being something about their coverage logic in there but a quick scan didn't turn up anything. Still worth looking into, though.

And if you aren't using shaders, then, well, you have no reason not to. It isn't as big of a jump as many think and you're only hurting yourself by adhering to the fixed-function pipeline. There were a couple of other presentations DICE put out, so I'll see if I can't track down the rest for ya ;)

EDIT: Duuuuhhh.
clb: At the end of 2012, the positions of jupiter, saturn, mercury, and deimos are aligned so as to cause a denormalized flush-to-zero bug when computing earth's gravitational force, slinging it to the sun.
Oh I do plan on using shaders, though as of yet I'm not quite as proficient with them as I'd like to be. They mentioned something about decals and splatters.
Can you direct me please to a helpful source on those?
I'm gonna start looking myself, but I'd appreciate an experienced point in the right direction.

Thanks!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement