• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Oni Sephiroth

Really Strange Results

This topic is 3405 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've written up a small graphics library that renders sprites and tiles from .png files (using them as textures on quads.) I've been getting some mixed performance results on different machines. For example, it runs fine on my desktop (3ghz core 2 duo, 4gb ram, hd4850, winxp). My friend's laptop, however, runs it at about half the speed (2ghz core 2 duo, 3gb ram, geforce 7150M, vista.) Now normally I'd accept that as just from the laptop having lower specs, but this is what gets me. Another friend's laptop (1.6ghz celeron, intel 915GMS integrated gpu, 768mb ram, winxp) has it running at full speed. Another computer (2.8ghz core 2 duo, 4gb ram, geforce series 6 card, vista 64 bit) runs it at half the speed as well. Another thing that happens on the slower runs in I get black lines running down some parts of the screen, but not on the faster runs. Has anyone ever run into a problem like this, and if so, how can I fix it? I was thinking of implementing display lists to try and speed things up, but I want to make sure there's not something else I should do first.

Advertisement
make sure youre getting hardware accerlration, make sure everyone has new graphics drivers installed

glGetString( GL_RENDERER )

if on vista perhaps u need to disable desktop acceleration (check www.opengl.org they may have further info )

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!