Using .NET framework in games?

Started by
14 comments, last by Glak 14 years, 12 months ago
Quote:Original post by jrk
if you don't mind being limited to the windows/xbox platform then go with c#/net.
for hobbyists and fast prototyping c#/net is really awesome.

if you're more serious about gamedev (and maybe want to port your games to other platforms) you should learn c++ :(

Yea, I am really serious about gamedev :P I want a job in the game industry later, want to make games, thats just my true dream! And im not giving it up anywhere, next 40 years! Maybe I'll pwn asses (40 year experience, lol) then, but not now. I know im still a beginner. But everyone was once a beginner. And they learned it too. =)
Heya.
Advertisement
if you don't mind being limited to the windows/xbox platform then go with c#/net.

if you're more serious about gamedev (and maybe want to port your games to other platforms) you should learn c++ :(

Well, I used to use C++ and DirectX but switched to OpenGL some years ago, mainly for Linux compatibility reasons. Besides the syntax the algorithms are mostly the same.

Recently I started to port my engine from C++ to C# for productivity reasons. C# allows me to quickly write code that runs on windows and linux as well. And some of C#'s features help productivity a lot if used correctly, like automatic memory management along with GC, delegates and events, etc.
If I was helpful, feel free to rate me up ;)If I wasn't and you feel to rate me down, please let me know why!

...add Linux, Windows Mobile based PDAs, iPhone, MacOS and Zune to that list.

Of course, .NET will probably never see the light of day on the PS3, which is a complete show-stopper for usage of .NET in AAA titles.

@Quil:
All valid reasons!

Just for the books: XNA is at it's core really just a wrapper around DirectX. Initializing the whole thing can be done automatically if you use Microsoft's "Game" class, but also manually by creating the GraphicsAdapter yourself, which includes all the gory details involved in normal DirectX initialization.

Maybe I have lost some perspective over the years -- for me wrestling with an API has become menial work and if something lets me avoid it without breaking any of my requirements, I'm happy to comply. I do remember the time when I was excited over creating the most OS-conformant and efficient rendering window, main loop or Direct3D setup, but over time, that became less and less interesting =)

You can certainly learn a lot about reference counting, resource management and meticulous attention to correct API usage with Direct3D. Good luck on your way!
Professional C++ and .NET developer trying to break into indie game development.
Follow my progress: http://blog.nuclex-games.com/ or Twitter - Topics: Ogre3D, Blender, game architecture tips & code snippets.
In my professional career, I have never used DirectX or OpenGL directly. Like Cygon, I avoid having to get close to the graphics API because it doesn't interest me.

If you intend to use the .NET frame with C++, you have to use Managed C++ at which point you may as well use C#.

Where is your focus on the MMORPG? Is it the networking? Rendering? Gameplay? Personally, I would focus on one area and take as many shortcuts as possible with other areas to minimise the amount of time to spend on it.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

Im new at gamedeveloping too and im in the same situation. Which language to pick. I think i have been convinced to go with the C#/XNA, but there is only one problem. Where is the books!?!

Which C#/XNA books would you guys recommed for a newbie game programmer like me? There have to been something about how to implement 3D models made in for example 3D Max.
Poku,

books have always been a bad way to learn about gamedev. The XNA tutorials are amazing. I'm actually porting my C++/DirectX game over to C#/XNA because of the lack of documentation for XAudio2 (the replacement for DirectSound).

Quil,

When I was a hobbyist I programmed in C++ because I loved it. Then I became a professional programmer (not gamedev though) and now I program my games in C#. Why? Because professionals aren't concerned with showing off talent. We'd rather do things the easy way, enjoy the fruits of our labors, and move on.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement